Bayliner Ciera 2355

qws

Seaman Apprentice
First I sure hope I'm in the right topic for this.
My wife and I have been considering changing to a different boat. Something more in the lines of a cruiser type. Mainly just for the convienances they offer.
Presently we own a 1993 crownline 225cr with the 5.7 mag. Plenty of power.
We are looking at a 1994 2355 Bayliner with a V6. I know that this is a big difference from what we have now. How underpowered is this?
The boat is clean and fairly priced at $4800. Gelgoat is in fair condition with minor scratches, found the fuel sender is bad, along with a trim tab that's leaking oil. The only other minor problem is the bilge takes on about and inch and half of water in roughly a week. Which doesn't sound to bad.

I'm looking for opinions on the repairs along with anyone that can tell me about this boats power.
thanks

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
That leak could be a bad bellows, or a rotten transom. The best thing to do IMHO is to hire a boat surveyor to give it stem to stern evaluation, engine, hull and outdrive. The hundred fifty or so you spend could save you thousands down the road.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
that will be a bit underpowered but not horribly as the Bay will be lighter than the Crown but yes pay someone to inspect.

qws

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks guys for the input, I'm gonna look at it on Wednesday and start my own inspection process. I may however hire some as you suggest. I may be hard for me to go from a lot of power to just a cruising boat. 20 Mph is a big difference on the water.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I wouldn't buy that size boat with a V6. Add to the fact that its a somewhat early 90's Bayliner makes it even worse.

The only other minor problem is the bilge takes on about and inch and half of water in roughly a week. Which doesn't sound to bad.
That could be a lot of things including signs of a rotten transom.

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
going from a 22 foot boat to a 23 foot boat ??? Not much of a move. You may find a 23 foot cruiser very cramped IMO.

I echo the other comments about lack of power and trouble related to the leak. Boats should not leak.

I would be checking a 1990's boat for water retention and rot.

Last edited:

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
1994 2355 Bayliner with a V6. I know that this is a big difference from what we have now. How underpowered is this?
The boat is clean and fairly priced at $4800. Gelgoat is in fair condition with minor scratches, found the fuel sender is bad, along with a trim tab that's leaking oil. The only other minor problem is the bilge takes on about and inch and half of water in roughly a week. Which doesn't sound to bad.

I'm looking for opinions on the repairs along with anyone that can tell me about this boats power.
thanks

At 4600lbs......... It appears it was available with the 4.3L V-6 and 5.0L V-8

I would think it would be barely acceptable with the 4.3. You're not going to use a LOT more fuel with a 5.0 or even 5.7 at medium cruising speeds but with the 4.3, hole shot and acceleration will suffer. (which engine/drive? If it's OMC "run" away!)

takes on about and inch and half of water in roughly a week. Which doesn't sound to bad.
YES IT DOES!
It should NOT leak ANY water in the back (unless the bilge drain is leaking) If it has a saturated transom and/or rotten transom/stringers etc, It will have NEGATIVE value.

If the drive bellows is leaking, there's likely rust in the U-joints and possibly water in the drive.

Good luck,

Rick

I

qws

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks guys for all the input, when I look at this boat this week I'll be keeping all this in mind. Once I look at it and feel it necessary to hire some outside help I will.
The leaking water could be a few things, it sits in a slip now... but he will need to remove it for me as well for a bottom and better transom inspection.

qws

Seaman Apprentice
Ok, spent almost 2 hours going thru this boat. Boat is in overall good condition, clean, engine clean and its area as well. It wasn't taking on any water at all. Ran it down the river. It cruises at 35 knots. A little rough its a bayliner.
My only concern now is a stress crack on the transom area about 8 inches long. When it was out of the water he put silicone on it for this year so it didn't leak in. Should I be concerned about this?... if I get it when I have it I would do a gelcoat repair on it. It comes with a 1999 Eagle trailer, with new tires. Package deal is $5000.
thoughts?

tpenfield

Staff member
Stress crack on the transom may be more than a gelcoat repair. It would be tough to comment further without seeing a picture of the transom.

qws

Seaman Apprentice
that's understandable. Whats my worst case scenario?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
for about what you paid for the boat (or more) and I'm concerned with anyone who puts silicone into a crack to 'fix it for the summer'

I'd vote to pass on this one

qws

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

This is what I'm doing at this point, Since the price of the boat with trailer is at a good price. I did give the guy a deposit of just a hundred bucks. This assures me 1) he won't sell it and 2) he has given me till whenever to pay the balance. Meanwhile I'm looking for a boat surveyor today to help me decide about this stress crack. As you can see the boat is in the water at a slip. Hopefully a surveyor can test the transom area with a moisture meter.

Attachments

• photo204456.jpg
    photo204456.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo204457.jpg
    photo204457.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 1
  • photo204458.jpg
    photo204458.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 1

qws

Seaman Apprentice
Well, the seller decided NOT to sell it. Which may not be a bad thing. I happen to stumble on another one in much better shape, gelcoat and cleaner with a Merc 5.7 for 8500. I'll check that one out

Walt T

Lieutenant
I do like the Ciera line by Bayliner, but not the 2355. It's way underpowered at least that's my opinion. I really do like the bigger Cieras I like the layouts and lines, just would rather have a 5.7 or big block. If you have to ask if it is underpowered, pay attention to that gut feeling. Don't buy it.You will never be happy with it.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I had a 2550, 25' with 9'6" beam that had a 5.7 and was not a speed demon but good all around.

qws

Seaman Apprentice
This other bayliner, I ended up buying last night. This has been a blessing.
1996 2355 with a 5.7 liter Merc, Gelgoat is in great condition with only a couple of minor scratches. No stress cracks. Engine only has 190 hrs on it and looks new. Down below looks like its never been used. It was only a couple of thousand more. $7500 I feel was a good deal on this one.