Engine Oil

studders

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello, I have a 1989 Mercruiser 3.0 181. I know that it should take quicksilver 25-w40. But, is there another weight or something equivalent that may be a little cheaper that I can use. I have only had the boat since November and never got around to changing the oil. It is still fairly clean and I know the previous owner took real good care of it. I want to change it now because I am going on vacation with it for a week and I plan on changing every year. If that helps on any advice that someone may have. I found some quarts in the storage compartments of the boat and none of them are 25-w40, so I don't know if that is what he used or just had them in there just in case of needing to top off. Any advice would be great. Thanks

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Howdy,

A search in just about any of the forum areas will produce numerous opinions on what oil is "best". Just about all types of automotive oils have been tried successfully.

Asking what to use here will get you no end of "here's what I use (or have always used) and it works fine" answers.....for what it's worth......

If you do not want to use the Mercruiser, Volvo, OMC, etc suggested oils.......use what ever you like. Marine engines don't fail from using the wrong "type" of oil.

They do fail if you don't put oil in them at all and if you never change it, the engine will not last as long as one that gets regular oil changes (yearly, 100hrs etc)

Most people here use either SAE 30, 40, 15W-40, 25W-40 and others......Brand doesn't seem to make much difference.......

All seem to work just fine. Some people "feel" better if they use a particular brand.

It IS important to change it at least every year (at the end of the season, before winter storage)

Cheers,

Rick

studders

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks that really did help out a lot. Going to get stuff tomorrow as it will be my only free day for the next week. Also thanks for the fast response.

studders

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Howdy,

A search in just about any of the forum areas will produce numerous opinions on what oil is "best". Just about all types of automotive oils have been tried successfully.

Asking what to use here will get you no end of "here's what I use (or have always used) and it works fine" answers.....for what it's worth......

If you do not want to use the Mercruiser, Volvo, OMC, etc suggested oils.......use what ever you like. Marine engines don't fail from using the wrong "type" of oil.

They do fail if you don't put oil in them at all and if you never change it, the engine will not last as long as one that gets regular oil changes (yearly, 100hrs etc)

Most people here use either SAE 30, 40, 15W-40, 25W-40 and others......Brand doesn't seem to make much difference.......

All seem to work just fine. Some people "feel" better if they use a particular brand.

It IS important to change it at least every year (at the end of the season, before winter storage)

Cheers,

Rick

Actually I have one more question. I was referring to my engine manual about changing the oil and there is another section right after that that explains about priming the engine with oil. It says I need to hook a remote starter up or if I don't have one then there is another option. Do I need to do this because I changed the oil or is that something I only do if it has been sitting for 6 months or longer as the manual reads. The way the manual reads, I'm not quite sure I am understanding. Thanks

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Not sure what you're referring to. You don't really "prime" the engine with oil and it's really not required unless the engine has been sitting idle for several years.

THEN, the process usually requires removing the distributor and manually turning the oil pump using a hex driver and electric drill or other suitable device..

If you're just changing the oil once a year, just change it like you would a car ...... (Although you may have to use a suction device to get the oil out)

Then start the engine normally (with a flush adapter connected and water running) and run it to check for leaks.

While it's running, that's the time to use the "fogging" oil if desired. If you have an oil filter that is installed in such a way that you can fill it with oil prior to installing (without spilling oil all over the place) then all the better....but it's not absolutely required.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
In for a penny, in for a pound.

After doing a shedload of research, I opted for a 15W40 Diesel engine oil. I use that so I can have one type of oil in the garage and use it in both car and boat. I was looking to see what would be better, use diesel engine oil in both, or petrol engine oil in both (car's a diesel, boat's a petrol). Turns out the diesel engine oil is better for 'high stress' environments, like boat engines.

That's my quids worth.

I love a good oil thread :D :popcorn:

Chris...........

Last edited:

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Diesel oil, specifically Rotella T6, is a very good car oil also! That is all I run in my subaru.

Fastatv

Petty Officer 1st Class
I use Rotella 15W40 diesel oil in the boat, truck, and even my bike....Best price I have found was at Wally world. I change my oil mid season as well as winter storage, however, I only change the oil mid season, not the filter. My engine has high hours, just a little insurance and very little cost.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
In for a penny, in for a pound.

After doing a shedload of research, I opted for a 15W40 Diesel engine oil. I use that so I can have one type of oil in the garage and use it in both car and boat. I was looking to see what would be better, use diesel engine oil in both, or petrol engine oil in both (car's a diesel, boat's a petrol). Turns out the diesel engine oil is better for 'high stress' environments, like boat engines.

That's my quids worth.

I love a good oil thread :D :popcorn:

Chris...........

OK......
I'll reveal that I too use 15W40 but if anyone else asks me I'll deny it!!
toothlessgiggler.gif

bravoIIIa.gif

bilge rat jim

Petty Officer 1st Class
Any good quality 25W40 oil will work well- if you boat in colder temperatures (down around the freezing point), I would use a 10W30 multigrade. As to "priming the engine with oil after an oil change, do it the easy way- activate your kill switch and crank the engine for 15 seconds.