gasket recommendations

Axkiker

Petty Officer 1st Class
Anyone have a preference as to the gasket brand when rebuilding. Seems they sell a marine version which is substantionally more expensive than a typical gasket kit. Anyone know if there is a difference or did they just add on the boat tax.

Bondo

Staff member
Anyone have a preference as to the gasket brand when rebuilding. Seems they sell a marine version which is substantionally more expensive than a typical gasket kit. Anyone know if there is a difference or did they just add on the boat tax.

Ayuh,.... If yer buyin' gasket Sets, ya need the Marine set, so's All the right gaskets are in the Set,....
Head gaskets, 'n exhaust gaskets are Very different on boat motors,...

Nothin' wrong with the Sierra line iboats carries,...
but there are always Better out there too,...
Depends on what yer Lookin' for,....

Axkiker

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ayuh,.... If yer buyin' gasket Sets, ya need the Marine set, so's All the right gaskets are in the Set,....
Head gaskets, 'n exhaust gaskets are Very different on boat motors,...

Nothin' wrong with the Sierra line iboats carries,...
but there are always Better out there too,...
Depends on what yer Lookin' for,....

Yeah, when asking about the difference between marine and auto I guess I should have been more specific as to the head gaskets. Ive read that there is no really no difference unless you are looking to run in salt water. I have also read that a marine head gasket is a must no matter what.

Just curious because as we all know some parts which we buy for a boat are no different than the auto version. They simply add on the boat tax because as we all know everyone who owns a boat is rich.

Axkiker

Petty Officer 1st Class
So after reading the responses here as well as other sites I do see where there is a big difference in head gaskets. Looks like the big deal is stainless vs steel. So stainless it shall be for my engine.

My only other question is do you think there is any difference in the intake gaskets??? Its been a while since ive built a motor but from what I remember they are a composite material. So I dont think there should be.

Thanks

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Good choice. You never want to run steel head gaskets on an engine that does not use anti freeze whether its being run in fresh water or salt.

Axkiker

Petty Officer 1st Class
Good choice. You never want to run steel head gaskets on an engine that does not use anti freeze whether its being run in fresh water or salt.

Do you know if there is a difference between a marine intake vs auto intake gasket?