Yamaha stern drive

Jwpittman

Recruit
I am looking at a 94 Monterey bow rider with a Yamaha stern drive. Is parts availability still a problem for these Yamaha stern drives?

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Yamaha made and sold sterndrives for about 2 years in the 1990's, then abandoned the market completely. No parts, no support. The drive package in that Monterey is the orphan of orphans. I would not buy it at ANY price. If you want no hassle access to parts and support, look for a boat with a GM-based motor and a Mercruiser or Volvo-Penta outdrive.

My .02

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I am looking at a 94 Monterey bow rider with a Yamaha stern drive. Is parts availability still a problem for these Yamaha stern drives?
Pretty much. There are *some* parts available but it'll be like OMC (New, old-stock sitting on someones shelf or used)

I would consider that boat a "part-out" boat only. That means it has negative value. (it'll STILL cost you even if it's "free")

bad2dabon

Cadet
A lot of Yamaha stern drive parts are still available. I know of 2 different places to get parts from. Never had an issue getting anything

thumpar

Admiral
Run. Look for something with a Merc or Volvo. Even if you were able to find parts how many people can work on them?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I don't know anyone who would buy a boat with a Yamaha drive on purpose.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I'll basically say it like I did for OMC.

Buy that boat only if:

1. It's REALLY "cheep",
2. The boat is in absolutely pristine condition (& no rot in the floor and/or transom),
3. You have a complete FWF ("Fire-wall-forward") Mercruiser engine, transom, drive, accy's already on hand and ready to install,
4. You have a buyer(and his money) for the Yamaha "stuff" you're going to remove to install the Mercruiser setup.
5. The money you got from the the Yamaha buyer equals what you paid for the boat.
6. You got a "swinging-deal" on the Mercruiser setup.

Then I would do it!

Cheers,

Rick

500dollar744ti

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I would spend the money on a different boat with a different drive, think volvo or mercruiser.

It's not that you can't get the yamaha parts, it's just the hassle and time and money involved is not worth it.

Let's say you need a yamaha specific part that prevents you from using the boat. Do you want the possibility of having to search or wait for weeks to get the part so you can get back on the water?

I needed a Mercruiser part while I was on vacation and a random marina had it in stock. That saved my vacation.

thumpar

Admiral
I would spend the money on a different boat with a different drive, think volvo or mercruiser.

It's not that you can't get the yamaha parts, it's just the hassle and time and money involved is not worth it.

Let's say you need a yamaha specific part that prevents you from using the boat. Do you want the possibility of having to search or wait for weeks to get the part so you can get back on the water?

I needed a Mercruiser part while I was on vacation and a random marina had it in stock. That saved my vacation.
Yep. I needed the diaphragm for my VST. A part the size of a quarter. I found it in stock on a Saturday about an hour away. It may have saved my marriage.