1989 Cari with 2.3 OMC converted to a 3.0 Mercruiser ???

Jake707

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1989 Bayliner Capri 19' open bow with a 2.3 Ford motor and OMC outdrive. I just bought the boat and it seems to be running fin, however after reading some threads it looks like i have the worst motor combination out there? It doesnt seem to have much power but that is to be expected with a small 4 cylinder. There is a guy locally selling a well running 3.0 Mercruiser motor and outdrive from a 1988 Bayliner Carpi 18' cabin cruiser. My question is are these easily swapped and should i do it? Is there more power or other swap options to bigger motors? Or should i not bother? I would turn the wrenches myself. Thanks

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Under ideal conditions and circumstances, such a conversion would definitely be an improvement.

However, you'll want to make certain that engine has no signs of freezing/milky oil, compression test the cylinders, and the outdrive oil is clean with no water, and no large shavings.

The biggest challenge will be the removal and storage of both drives until you can complete the fiberglass work to re-do the transom cut-out area to meet Mercruiser specs for the gimble housing. That assuming you don't have more bigger hidden problems lurking in your transom or stringers.

If you get the Mercruiser outdrive package, make sure to do a bellows kit job on it before you go installing it fully. Unless of course someone did one only a couple of years ago and it looks new still.

Last edited:

Jake707

Seaman Apprentice
ok i was hoping to not have to do any sort of fiber glass work as that is out or my relm. If it wasnt a simple bolt it type of switch i didnt think it would really be worth it as long as my 2.3 is still running fine.
Thanks for the reply

bigdirty

It was always my understanding that the keyhole cut out in the transom is nearly identical between merc and earlier omc cobra drives.. someone correct me if I'm mistaken? The older OMC 'stringer' drives no way, there is a 2ft square hole in the back for them.. :lol:

IMO as long as you got the complete merc motor/bellhousing/transom assy and drive, it should/would be a somewhat simple swap...

Bondo

Staff member
ok i was hoping to not have to do any sort of fiber glass work as that is out or my relm. If it wasnt a simple bolt it type of switch i didnt think it would really be worth it as long as my 2.3 is still running fine.
Thanks for the reply

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... Sell yer boat, 'n buy a copy of it that came with the Merc 3.0l, 'n Alpha 1,......
I believe that boat was built in the millions, with both drivelines available,.....

Jake707

Seaman Apprentice
This will be the plan. My wife and i agree to just enjoy this boat for what it is and then sell it next year and move up to exactly what we want. Its great i had to talk her into buying our first boat now shes talking me into stepping up to a higher level boat. Reverse psychology

sheboyganjohn

This will be the plan. My wife and i agree to just enjoy this boat for what it is and then sell it next year and move up to exactly what we want. Its great i had to talk her into buying our first boat now shes talking me into stepping up to a higher level boat. Reverse psychology

That is great when the wife takes that point of view. I was looking to build a boat (prior to my dory build) to be both an open water and marsh boat. I was going back and forth between many designs and my wife, bless her heart, said why don't you build one for each use. Got to love a wife that also loves boating.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
the cut out in the transom is the same for the Cobra and Merc Alpha, but you'd have to build different front engine mounts. I agree, use the boat, when something better comes your way sell it and up grade. I have a Cobra and I've been able to make it last a LONG time, but sooner or later I will have to upgrade...probably to a Volvo SX conversion....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
UThe biggest challenge will be the removal and storage of both drives until you can complete the fiberglass work to re-do the transom cut-out area to meet Mercruiser specs for the gimble housing.
They are identical. That is not an issue.

It's a lot of work swapping things. I would just sell the boat and buy one with a bigger engine.

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens
Sell the boat later but the Wife is defiantly a keeper !

Sell yer boat, 'n buy a copy of it that came with the Merc 3.0l, 'n Alpha 1,......
I believe that boat was built in the millions , Bazillions of copy of wife's too .

Last edited: