Can I do any maintenance on my Volvo DP-D1 Intermediate bearings (not called gimbals)

jmsmieja

Cadet
Hello,

I have a 1994 Chris Craft 268 with a VP 7.4 GL DPDM. It has a VP DP-D1 drive on it with transom assembly TSK DP-S. Seeing as how the intermediate bearings can't both be removed without pulling the engine and removing the housing, is there any way or any need to get grease in them? They seem tight and make no noticeable sound, but I just want to understand what I can do to prolong doing any lengthy and/or expensive service when these bearings give out.

Thanks,

Jameson

Maclin

Admiral
Re: Can I do any maintenance on my Volvo DP-D1 Intermediate bearings (not called gimb

I believe there is a grease zerk on the bell housing behind the engine, under a removable plastic cap.

Maclin

Admiral
Re: Can I do any maintenance on my Volvo DP-D1 Intermediate bearings (not called gimb

There is a Volvo Penta section that you can post questions like this in as it is for yor type of setup, and have a better chance of knowledgeable VolvoPenta members seeing it sooner :)

Welcome to iBoats forums!

Last edited:

jmsmieja

Cadet

I believe there is a grease zerk on the bell housing behind the engine, under a removable plastic cap.

If it's there its not very obvious. I will get my head down in there and see if it's on the bottom of the bell housing. I will also repost this in the Volvo Penta section. Thanks for your help!

jmsmieja

Cadet
FYI, I did repost this, and concluded that there is no zerk or plug on my particular configuration. Guess I'll just have to bite the bullet when the time comes to replace the bearings.