Do I have one of the oldest Mercruiser 165's still running?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheShadow619

Cadet
According to a copy of microfiche I came across, the Mercruiser 165 started with serial number 2763442. I have serial number 2763647. Which means I have the 205th Mercruiser 165 built. My dad bought it in 1980. I now have it. We still run it several times a year, fishing, skiing, tubing, wake boarding. Original engine, never rebuilt, still runs great.

What I really want to know is, does anyone out there have a 165 older than mine still running? I love my old boat, and just want to know if anyone else still runs with me?

Here's a copy of the microfiche
Mercruiser_Index.jpg

HorizonblueDK

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Do I have one of the oldest Mercruiser 165's still running?

No matter how old it is, take good care of it. The 250 GM is a mighty fine, smooth running engine.

southkogs

Staff member

LOL - I'm running one from '72 (GM250 165HP), worse yet it's clamped to an OMC. She'll hold together ;)

TheShadow619

Cadet

No matter how old it is, take good care of it. The 250 GM is a mighty fine, smooth running engine.

I do take great care of my boat. It's a 1969 Fiberform Surfrider deep trihull. My dad bought it back around 1980. Been in the family ever since, continually used every year. I have rebuilt the outdrive, repainted it, and been redoing the upholstery over the past couple years. Doing all the work myself. Take friends and family out several times a years. Has always been reliable and solid. Plan to have it for many more wonderful years.

glenner

Seaman Apprentice
just bought a 1980 bayliner with a chevy 250.....where did you find the number.?..im trying to find schematics for the motor,,and drive..
all the best
glenn

TheShadow619

Cadet
There is a space on the tag on the side of the outdrive for a serial number. Mine was blank. I found the number on a tag on top of the exhaust elbow that comes up from the rear of the manilfold. According to the microfiche I got yours falls in 1978 to 1981, which is SN 4890460 and up. Your outdrive should be what is referred to as a Pre-Alpha. Anything else, just message me and I will answer to the best of my ability. I've done a lot of research and I work on my own boat, including rebuilding the outdrive, new shift cables, upholstery.

Peter Eikenberry

Chief Petty Officer
Well, yours is definitely older than mine, a 1972 ser no 3216148. As far as I and my mechanic can tell, it had never been opened up by previous owners. But, This summer it started leaking coolant around two head bolts, and behind the exhaust manifold. So now it is definitely going to get opened up this winter. May need new head. Won't know until they take it apart. The manifold leak is probably a leaky gasket (I hope) because the manifold was replaced 3 years ago along with the gaskets and bolts. So we'll see. Strangely enough, despite the leaks, it runs great. Good compression, no water in the oil, revs up nicely. Got to take it to the mechanic. Find out whats going on.

Peter Eikenberry

Chief Petty Officer
Glenner, by the way, if you have the original flame arrester the engine serial number is on the flame arrester.

Status
Not open for further replies.