Volvo/Penta 4.3GL vs Mercruiser 4.3L - Which would you buy?

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Volvo/Penta 4.3GL vs Mercruiser 4.3L - Which would you buy?

like mentioned the volvo sx drive seems to be superior over the merc alpha . the rest is personal preference , the best hint is already given : ride both and look what warms up your heart more.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Which engine do you prefer?

Hey guys,

Looking at a Larson Fish & Ski - there are two identical boats for sale in my area - one has the Volvo/Penta 4.3GL - The other has the Mercruiser 4.3L

Which one would you go with?

Thanks for any/all input!!

Howdy,

Back in 2006, I went looking for a used Volvo BBC/DP drive to replace my OMG 460 King Kobra.

I looked for about 2 months and found Zero, Zip, NADA Volvos.

Evidently no one ever parts out a Volvo powered boat........

I DID find SEVERAL Mercruiser BBC/SBC, Alpha, Bravo I, II, III packages in various years, prices and hrs.....

I also look on eBAY once in a while and I always find at least 3 times more Mercruiser engines, drives, new and used parts than Volvo.....

Although I believe that there's nothing wrong with Volvo, I wouldn't choose them if I was going to work on my own stuff.

It's FAR easier to find new and used parts for a Mercruiser. Harder to find parts are just going to be more expensive.

ymmv

Rick

hall832

Petty Officer 1st Class
Adding to Mercruiser over Volvo Penta debate.
Both use a GM 350 Block for the 5.7, its the dressing, externals and bolt-on parts like Exhaust Headers and Fuel Pumps that set the GM and Volvo apart.

Fact- Volvo Penta Parts are more expensive then Mercruiser.

Opinion-Both motors when well taken care are great. I don't really like the raw water pump set up on the Volvo Penta"s.lot of draw backs on that design. Plus the paint tends to flakes off. The HP fuel pump set up is garbage.(all avoidable with proper maintenance)that combined with cost of parts and my experience Mercruiser .is the winner.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I don't really like the raw water pump set up on the Volvo Penta"s.lot of draw backs on that design.
You would rather pull the drive apart to change the water pump impeller?

A 4.3L Merc is going to be an Alpha so definitely a cone clutch SX is better than the Alpha drive.

The HP fuel pump set up is garbage.
A Volvo 4.3L GL doesn't have a HP fuel pump.

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
Since having a Bravo I have learned how smooth a cone clutch is. That is an advantage for a VP over Merc IMO. You will find much more support for the Merc though.

hall832

Petty Officer 1st Class
my disdain for the Volvo Penta Raw Water Pump has to with the little bolts that Volvo uses. They corrode and deteriorate In a 8-9 year old boat. and a portion of the boating community allow their boat to go without true maintenance. either through lack of education or not smart Volvo's fall apart quick. I find with Merc's a lil work and a tune up usually they are ok.( I like Outboards and Diesels)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If you replace the impeller every 2 or 3 years, the impeller is not an issue at all. I have never had an issue with the bolts.

The water pump on the Volvo is a huge advantage over a Merc Alpha.

Last edited:

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
If you replace the impeller every 2 or 3 years, the impeller is not an issue at all. I have never had an issue with the bolts.

The water pump on the Volvo is a huge advantage over a Merc Alpha.

The engine driven raw pump is definitely "better" in my book over a drive mounted pump..................... And there's not a thing wrong with either the Volvo raw water pump or the Bravo pump. (unless you run them too long)

The (Alpha) Gen-II raw water pumps seem to live longer than the earlier Alphas though............

If you like to do your own "work" my contention is that you might be able to find more parts availability with a Mercruiser.

Just searched eBAY a min ago and found in eBAY MOTORS: BOAT PARTS searching for "Mercruiser":

86,851 Mercruiser "things"

and 14,784 Volvo things........

It varies from week to week.......but there's always a LOT more Merc stuff.....

If you're buying new parts (and there's a LOT of good reasons to do it) there's really no difference. You'll always find what ever new part (after-market or OEM) you need for either....

But if you're going to get used parts, you'll probably find more in the Merc dept.....

Also, if you need a lower or an entire new drive, you have SEI as a replacement choice. SEI does have a big line of replacement parts for a Volvo but I don't think they're doing entire Volvo drives (yet)

Don't get me wrong.

If I could have found a BBC Volvo DPS drive for my Four Winns when I was looking, there'd be one on the back right now!!

I don't think you'll go wrong with either choice though.....

Good luck,

Rick

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Never had an issue getting Volvo parts and I always buy OEM including manifolds. They typically get drop shipped from Volvo.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I've owned both- I prefer Volvo. Routine maintenance is a snap. While you still need to pull the drive for annual service, you don't need to dismantle it further to service the water pump as it's engine mounted. There's no so shift cable bellows to fail and potentially sink the boat. Overall it's a simpler, more robust design then Merc. Parts availability is NOT an issue, but they're usually more expensive than Merc.

Advantage to the Merc is that the Alpha is so widely known and used that everybody knows them. Parts are cheap and plentiful and you can replace the entire drive for less than $1500. (SEI).

When all was said and done I'd buy the one in the best overall condition. If both are truly in excellent shape I'd buy the one that's cheaper. If both are the same price I'd buy the Volvo without question.

My.02