81 caravelle 16ft buy maybe

boatermarquis

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This guy got 81 caravelle.mercrusier, guess 3.0.he says motor outdrive say 120hp on them.Is that a pre alpha drive? He says motor and outdrive good.needs interior.plus boat has been patched above water line.not for sure if 300 a good deal.any input on drive or motor?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Re: 81 caravelle 16ft buy maybe

If everything is original then a 120hp is a 2.5, the 3.0 should be 140 and alpha drives started in 1984.

My input would be that the wood in the boat is rotten making it unseaworthy and in need of tons of work/money to make it so.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

$300? I'd at least look at it if it runs.

boatermarquis

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok he said 150 come get it.i think I'm gonna go for it.ill let u guys know.i just don't know about pre alpha drives

boatermarquis

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm going to pick it up in morning.any signs I should look for on outdrive?

Bondo

Staff member

I'm going to pick it up in morning.any signs I should look for on outdrive?

Ayuh,.... Oil in it, Not water,...

This thread is now in the I/Os, non-repair, where it belongs,...

boatermarquis

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok got boat for 75.someone took off crankshaft pulley.where water pump couldn't be pumped.so block must be cracked.is this a 2.5 Chevy motor?

boatermarquis

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I got boat running but smoke blowing out the back and through valve cover

boatermarquis

Petty Officer 2nd Class
whats up.i ended up putting pully onfrom my other motor and hooked up to water.run good for 30 minutes at idle.running at like 195degress,because impellar.so i took head off today,and guess what hole in center of piston.everything else looked good heads,block,ect.so i jerked motor out,and started stripping boat parts out.I accidently pulled drive off without putting in forward.

id really like to redo all these parts i got outdrive,heads,motor.I still got another 2.5l omc 1976 that has everything good but the block.I cant believe that motor run like that with hole in piston about size of a dime.any chances i could just swap out the piston from the 76.wouldnt mind just putting all new rings in with just a hone job,or would it need bored.bearings all sounded good when it was at idle even when reved up.Be nice to have nice motor sitting waiting ready to drop in.doing rings is top end right.it does have slight wear on piston walls,touch of ring at top.

any ideas.id hate to junk these two motors when i could make one,or maybe sell parts.

southkogs

Staff member
... sorry, I'm having trouble following ya'.

You have an 81' Caravelle 16' with a OMC Stringer. Current motor is blown, but the outdrive is in good shape?

A '76 OMC outdrive and an '81 OMC outdrive are two very different animals.

boatermarquis

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You have an 81' Caravelle 16' with a OMC Stringer. Current motor is blown, but the outdrive is in good shape?

I got two of the 2.5l motors.one is a omc76 other is mercruiser81.the mercruiser has hole in piston,but was running,the omc had cracked block.hate to through them away when i could just change piston.

boatermarquis

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i thought the blocks were the same.if not let me know.just tring to figure out what to save before i hit scrap yard with the junk.

boatermarquis

Petty Officer 2nd Class

outdrive shifted good,just needs new impeller.imay paint it,and put new stickers on it.

southkogs

Staff member
i thought the blocks were the same.if not let me know.just tring to figure out what to save before i hit scrap yard with the junk.
Oh, I see. Yes, I believe those are the same blocks.

I'm assuming the boat transom is set for the OMC, right?

boatermarquis

Petty Officer 2nd Class
yeah i just gave boat away.stripped mostly everything.only thing i notice is some of these heads have different manifold outlets.was just wondering if i should save any of the parts like crank ect.i know the good blocks is whats rare.