Tachometer acting weird

acdc96

Chief Petty Officer
I was doing some work on my engine and I noticed the tachometer was about 500 rpm too high. So I stopped the engine and restarted it and it went back to normal. I carry on the work I glance back at the gauge and it went back up. Well being right next to the engine I would have noticed it increasing in rpm just by sound.
So I finish my maintenance and turn the motor off. I turned the ignition on but didn't start the motor and I hear the fuel pump go on after 30 seconds. I look at the gauge and it went up to 500 rpm. I'm thinking how is this possible the engine is off and this has never done this. I think maybe the gauge is bad so I got a new one at west marine and installed it and turned the motor on and it was back to normal. 10 minutes later it's shot up 500 more rpm like the last the old one. I replaced the old one and returned the new one.
Any one know why it keeps going up 500 RPM?
I wasn't doing any carb or ignition work. I was doing power steering maintenance and a little electrical work for the bilge pump.
The engine idles around 800RPM. Its on the trailer.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tachometer acting weird

Howdy,

Poor or corroded connections in either distribution, battery, PLUS or Minus, and/or bad ground connections can produce all sorts of strange results.