Water in my fuel tank....

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
:embarassed:

So i replaced my tank sender and left the gas exposed to the air for a week.......2 months later and i go to fill it up and de winterize it and the tank would only take 12 gallons it should have taken 20......:confused: So i crank her up and it starts...then stumbles then nothing...i look at the fuel and almost fall over the water concentration is high.

The only thing i know of is draining the boat tank into a 50 gallon drum let it separate over time and pull what good gas i can out of the 50...total volume 40 gals from 5-8 gallon's of water in there...any novel ideal's out there....

I will be cleaning the tank out...anyone know of a solvent that's not to hot yet will clean up and water gas sludge depost's..i can see the tank is actually black on the bottom.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Water in my fuel tank....

:embarassed:

So i replaced my tank sender and left the gas exposed to the air for a week.......2 months later and if go to fill it up and dewinterize.....it would only take 12 gallons it should have taken 20......:confused: So i crank her up and it starts...then stumbles then nothing...i look at the fuel and almost fall over the water concentration is high.

The only thing i know of is draining the tank into a 50 gallon drum let it seperate over time and pull what good gas i can out of the 50...total volume 40 gals from 5-8 gallon's of water in there...any novel ideal's out there....

I will be cleaning the tank out...anyone know of a solvent that's not to hot yet will clean up and water gas sludge depost's..i can see the tank is actually black on the bottom.

Ayuh,.... Are ya gonna suck it out with an electric fuel pump, through the sender hole,..??

Just suck off the Bottom, 'n try to get the crud you can see, while yer at it,...

When ya get most of the crud, ya oughta be at 'bout 30 gallons in the tank,....
'n only 20 to dump, or try to gather the remaining gas out of,...

Then run it, 'n change the fuel filter alittle more often,...

'n as far as a Solvent,..??..... Ethanol is 'bout the Best there is,..... :rolleyes:

old islander

Petty Officer 1st Class

Starbright makes a product called startron fuel tank cleaner. I bought it at ******** I believe. You might check Iboats, I'll bet they have it too. It works great. You can use it as a stand alone swish around in the tank and dump it cleaner, or you can add it to your fuel to clean the tank as you drive it. I used it in an old outboard tank and in the 37 year old tank of a boat I'm restoring and both came out squeaky clean. If you run it in your fuel, make sure you change the filter after the first tank. It will be grungy as all get out.

Last edited:

tinkerguy70

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When we got our boat, it had been setting for a few years and the fuel tank had a lot of water/moisture in it. While I didn't have nearly as much fuel as you do, once I drained it all out, I pulled the sender, which was located in the front of the tank.
With the sender out, I put the trailer in a bow down position and stuffed those blue paper shop towels down in there and soaked up what little bit of water was left. Fortunately, I only had water, no sludge or dirt.
I don't know if that story helps you or not, but I threw it out there for anyone who might be able to use it.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Well i am not sure just what happened..40 gallon tank and 13 gallons water. I just took a 55 gallon barrel and old garden hose and gravity siphoned the tank out, the first 13 gallon's was just pure water with a slight odor taint. Almost no oil sheen cam to the surface the water was not combustible and then comes the gas very little seperation time maybe 5 sec's of flow.

So i am off to dispose of the water and after a couple hours one more attempt.

It seem's the first attempt was all that was needed, started the siphon again and raw gas for two gallons....shut it down added 2 cans of heet..filled it up..purged the gas line and pumps and it ran like a watch for 30 minute's....

Last edited: