Where can find a replacement engine for my 88 VIP w/ Merc 3.0 (winter cracked block?

Luis Z

Recruit
Anyone out there know of a 3.0 Mercury 4cyl 1.98 ratio engine for sale. Took my boat out and confirmed that the winter did a number on my block. I have an external leak and my oil is milky. What a shame cause i had just installed a new outdrive. Not positive but I'm assuming that my engine is not salvagable. Any thoughts or help locating a replacement is much appreciated.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Where can find a replacement engine for my 88 VIP w/ Merc 3.0 (winter cracked blo

Anyone out there know of a 3.0 Mercury 4cyl 1.98 ratio engine for sale. Took my boat out and confirmed that the winter did a number on my block. I have an external leak and my oil is milky. What a shame cause i had just installed a new outdrive. Not positive but I'm assuming that my engine is not salvagable. Any thoughts or help locating a replacement is much appreciated.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Who winterized it, 'n How,..??

Yer local GM Dealer will sell ya a New long block motor,...

Michigan Motors sells Remans,...

Thousands of rotten boats have used 3.0l motors,...

cc350

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Where can find a replacement engine for my 88 VIP w/ Merc 3.0 (winter cracked blo

Location helps. Just google marine engine your location.

thompson80

Seaman Apprentice

Another alternative to buying a remanufactured block and paying up to $700 shipping, or a new GM longblock: call around local boat shops & marinas, and check Craigslist in your area. Look for a used, rebuildable block. You can reuse all your Mercruiser parts & accessories: alternator, carburetor, manifold, etc., so even a rebuildable OMC block will work - they are the same basic GM block, and there are lots of them around, thanks to OMC's weak outdrive suicides and now out-of-business lack of parts & tech support. I don't know where you are, but there are engine remanufacturing shops all over the country in most major cities. Just do your homework on who is trustworthy and who isn't before committing to one, and make darn sure they know the difference between a forklift or generator GM 4 cyl. and a marine 4 cyl.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Who winterized it, 'n How,..??

Yer local GM Dealer will sell ya a New long block motor,...

Michigan Motors sells Remans,...

Thousands of rotten boats have used 3.0l motors,...

buying new? reman.. you've likely seen the cost involved there...I'd look for another boat and yank the motor out of it as said above.... lots of 3.0's out there that likely run fine, sitting in rotten boats........