What Paint to Use for Manifolds and Engine Block

pyrotek

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I replaced my manifolds and risers 2 years ago with Osco. They came primed and I sprayed 500 degree Rustoleum Gloss Black paint. After running with them for two years, all the paint on the bottom of the manifolds close to the engine block. I assumed it was because it got over 500 degrees in normal operation. My engine has never overheated since I redid the manifolds and risers and runs about 130-150 degrees, never above.

I now have the engine out for other reasons and am in the process of grinding down the bottom side of the manifold and the block to fix some other rust. So I bought High Heat 2000 degree Rustoleum, but I just found out its flat black and not gloss. They don't make gloss black. :mad:

So what paint should I use? I would really like to match the gloss lock of the Mercruiser engine. The 2000 degree flat black is just too ugly. Is everyone else getting away with the 500 degree paint?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: What Paint to Use for Manifolds and Engine Block

Ayuh,.... I paint mine with plain ole Rustoleum industrial enamel in rattlecans,...

The only burn off I've ever had was the cross-over in the intake manifold,...

Are ya Sure it burnt, or is it just rustin' again,..??

pyrotek

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: What Paint to Use for Manifolds and Engine Block

is it just rustin' again,..??[/QUOTE]

Defiantly burnt. The paint is losely attached but peeling in very small flakes. Metal is in good condition.