Is it ok to mix a quarter tank ethanol fuel with non ethanol fuel?

cawfl

Recruit
I have a 2005 Caravelle 187 with a 4.3 Mercruiser carbed. I have just over a quarter tank of ethanol fuel and wanted to fill the boat up with non ethanol. I have only ever owned outboards so this is my first I/O and I know with ourboards it isn't a good idea. I have searched the site and so far I can only find topics on this that refer to outboards.

Thanks in advance for the help.

tomdinwv

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Is it ok to mix a quarter tank ethanol fuel with non ethanol fuel?

Should be fine. No different than doing it in your car really.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I have a 2005 Caravelle 187 with a 4.3 Mercruiser carbed. I have just over a quarter tank of ethanol fuel and wanted to fill the boat up with non ethanol. I have only ever owned outboards so this is my first I/O and I know with ourboards it isn't a good idea. I have searched the site and so far I can only find topics on this that refer to outboards.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Well, since I just use the "ethanol fuel" (E10) right from the pump year after year (after year after year) .......I would say you're gonna be just fine.

But, all the people that constantly worry about using E-10 in their boats will be wringing their hands..........

MOST of the rest of us just don't worry about it and run it and don't have problems at all..............

ymmv............

Rick

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That's what we all did when E10 came on the market and non-E wasn't easily found. Fill'er up!

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... While I agree mixin' the fuels won't hurt a thing,....

If the fuel already in the tank, has gone Bad,...
Mixin' fresh fuel into it, Won't make Bad fuel, Good,....

I'd pull a sample, 'n give it the Sniff Test, before ya add the fresh fuel,...
If it still smells like gasoline, Go for it,...
If it smells Rotten, pump the crap out, 'n then start fresh,...

cawfl

Recruit

The gas that is in there is a few months old and I have been treating it with stabilizer. I have also been cranking the boat up every couple weeks and letting it run for 10 minutes on the hose to stir things up.

Thanks for the responses everyone!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

The gas that is in there is a few months old and I have been treating it with stabilizer. I have also been cranking the boat up every couple weeks and letting it run for 10 minutes on the hose to stir things up.

Thanks for the responses everyone!

A few months is NOT a problem. I leave my tank at about 1/4 every year.....it sits from about the end of AUG to about June or so. Then I just fill it up with fresh gasoline and go boating. I have been doing this for many years. I also do not use any sort of "stabilizer"

Now having said that, if you did not use the snake oil before you stored it, adding it after the fact will do little or nothing.

Running the engine for only 10 min is doing far more damage than just letting it sit. You're filling the crankcase with water vapor that does not get "boiled" out because the engine (and oil) NEVER gets to operating temp at all. DO NOT DO THAT!