mercruiser 3.0 performance, pros and cons, what can I expect?

saltybutwet

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am getting closer to completing my 1993 chaparral 18' 6" Sport Limited project
I have never had a Mercruiser 3.0 in a boat before, always ran outboards. I feel like it is a small engine for the size of boat.

I would like to know what i can expect, performance wise, when i finally get her on the lake, or open water

Thanks for your opinions

Good or bad

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: mercruiser 3.0 performance, pros and cons, what can I expect?

the 3.0 is a small motor. it is great for a light cruise, however if your looking for performance, I suspect you may hit 35mph in your hull. In my 17' (actually 16.5') I hit 42 on a good day with the right prop.

if you plan on water sports as well as cruising, you will need to carry two props

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

Performance is largely a matter of expectations.. if you want to go 50mph, that's not going to happen.. if your satisfied with 35-40 then you will be pleased.. for water sports you might consider a 4 blade, you will get increased hole shot, on plane easier at mid range speeds, will handle better at slow speed (steering wise).. I've got a 20ft cuddy with a 140hp 3.0.... pushes me up on top of the water quick.. 32mph for me,, I'm very happy with it... I personally think a 4 blade out performs (overall) 3 blade props.. MHO.. have fun with it!

Walt T

Lieutenant

They can run all day on a tank of fuel. That's the major selling point. You don't buy a boat with a 3.0 if you want performance. If you're just looking for a baseline so you know if it's running right well there you go. Loaded with 450 lbs of family or one 450 lb girlfriend it's not gonna do well. Add coolers and gear, well you can see where this is going.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

They can run all day on a tank of fuel. That's the major selling point. You don't buy a boat with a 3.0 if you want performance. If you're just looking for a baseline so you know if it's running right well there you go. Loaded with 450 lbs of family or one 450 lb girlfriend it's not gonna do well. Add coolers and gear, well you can see where this is going.

cost of fuel today......3.0 is nice :joyous: that is a major selling pt for sure

eavega

Lieutenant

With a 450 Lb girlfriend, you may have "bigger" issues.

-E

saltybutwet

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the comments:)
I will check into an additional prop, my wife weighs a whole lot less than 450lbs, so thats a plus:)
Speed, i was not sure about that, in this size and length boat. The speedoo shows 80mph lol
Cruising, my wife will love that, snd the fuel economy, I will like that:)

Thanks for the input...

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

You don't buy a boat with a 3.0 if you want performance. .

19' boat, 45 mph with 2 adults, 6 mpg, outstanding hole shot with a double cupped prop pitched right, ALL day on a tank of gas, etc, etc. To me my 3.0 gives me outstanding performance.

The term is being used incorrectly. Many people today want speed, not performance.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

19' boat, 45 mph with 2 adults, 6 mpg, outstanding hole shot with a double cupped prop pitched right, ALL day on a tank of gas, etc, etc. To me my 3.0 gives me outstanding performance.

The term is being used incorrectly. Many people today want speed, not performance.

well said!

Walt T

Lieutenant

Speed is relative. 45 mph on a skateboard is freakin scary. 45 downhill on skis makes me curl up in a fetal position and ride down the rest of the hill like that. 45 on a slalom then swinging way outside on a turn is pretty fun. 45 in the fast lane of the freeway will get you lots of fingers, honks, and yelling. Just wave and yell back "I'm rejoicing in the lawd glad to see ya'll rejoicing wit' me!"

saltybutwet

Petty Officer 2nd Class

that is more like what I want to hear:)
I hope the Mercruiser will surprise me....

saltybutwet

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Speed is relative. 45 mph on a skateboard is freakin scary. 45 downhill on skis makes me curl up in a fetal position and ride down the rest of the hill like that. 45 on a slalom then swinging way outside on a turn is pretty fun. 45 in the fast lane of the freeway will get you lots of fingers, honks, and yelling. Just wave and yell back "I'm rejoicing in the lawd glad to see ya'll rejoicing wit' me!"

lol....but your right....

saltybutwet

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if I have my wife, myself, and 2 other adults within weight limit, full 18gal fuel tank, all the safety gear required, 2 sandwiches, chips, drinks, all in the boat, and one adult wants to ski....can the Mercruiser 3.0, in top running condition, take on the task of pulling up that adult skier? or will I be embarrassed, and just drag that person through the water, to the bottom of the lake, only to pop back up, and give me more than the finger lol...

fishrdan

Admiral

if I have my wife, myself, and 2 other adults within weight limit, full 18gal fuel tank, all the safety gear required, 2 sandwiches, chips, drinks, all in the boat, and one adult wants to ski....can the Mercruiser 3.0, in top running condition, take on the task of pulling up that adult skier? or will I be embarrassed, and just drag that person through the water, to the bottom of the lake, only to pop back up, and give me more than the finger lol...

You'll be overloaded by 2 sandwiches, chips and drinks..... :lol:

Prop it right and you'll be just fine. I agree with the 4-blade, I have one on my 3.0L (140HP) and it performs very well. You'll need to run the boat to see how it performs (MPH-RPM) with the current prop, if it performs well, run it... It it's doggy or not enough grunt for watersports, use your performance numbers to select a better prop.

saltybutwet

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You'll be overloaded by 2 sandwiches, chips and drinks..... :lol:

Prop it right and you'll be just fine. I agree with the 4-blade, I have one on my 3.0L (140HP) and it performs very well. You'll need to run the boat to see how it performs (MPH-RPM) with the current prop, if it performs well, run it... It it's doggy or not enough grunt for watersports, use your performance numbers to select a better prop.

Darn those 2 sandwiches!!! oh well....it will be a while before I get her into the water. I think I have the original 3 blade prop, not sure what pitch ect, but I did see it has the markings on the side. I will check that out.

The 4 blade prop? I have read some threads about them, never used one, but maybe I can buy a used one?

performance numbers? not sure about that one, please explain

Bondo

Staff member

Darn those 2 sandwiches!!! oh well....it will be a while before I get her into the water. I think I have the original 3 blade prop, not sure what pitch ect, but I did see it has the markings on the side. I will check that out.

The 4 blade prop? I have read some threads about them, never used one, but maybe I can buy a used one?

performance numbers? not sure about that one, please explain

Ayuh,... The most important is speed/ Rpms/ at Wot, normal load,....

saltybutwet

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just went out and got the prop numbers....

FCD
M 14x1/2x19

fishrdan

Admiral

I just went out and got the prop numbers....

FCD
M 14x1/2x19

Sounds OK. Though, the proof is in the pudding, drop the boat in the water and run it, see what kind of numbers the boat gives up, (look at the sticky at the top of the prop forum for what you need, "numbers").

That 19P prop could be too big, too small or just right, kind of like Goldilocks and the three bears...

MikDee

Banned

The prop size seems about right. Being a motorhead, I would run synthetic oil with less friction to get the most out of my engine.
I've always wondered if they make aftermarket rocker arms with a different ratio to provide extra lift for this motor? I thought I read this somewhere? This might be a way to get a bit more HP out of it. I wonder if they are made just like the std. small block chevy rocker arms?