Mallory, Genuine mercrusier or sierra. Which one?

OldNBold51

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've searched and I really don't like the search engine on this forum as, well, I couldn't find what I'm after.

That being said, i need to install a transom replacement kit for my 1995 Bravo 1. I need the gimbal bearing, all 3 bellows, and the seals/o-rings.

It looks like i need p/n 30-803100T1?

I'd like a kit with parts that will last a long time so i don't have to do this again any time soon.

What do you guys think is the brand to use provided the above criteria?

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: Mallory, Genuine mercrusier or sierra. Which one?

Use factory parts if you want to keep the boat. Use the aftermarkets if you want something cheap because your selling the boat and want to save every buck you can, but don't care what happens after you sell it.

wrench 3

Commander

I've been using Sierra parts on my own and other peoples boats for about fifteen years with no complaints. And just off hand I can't recollect replacing a belows or a gimbal bearing because the Sierra failed in that time.

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I don't have as much experience as some,but I use genuine and have started using oem on my vehicles as well(if it is possible).

Fun Times

Staff member

For the items your wanting to replace, in my opinion your better off spending the few extra dollars to help aid in the fit, finish and ease of the installation.

If you were buying engine sensors then i would recommend OEM first, Mallory second, then Sierra.

bilge rat jim

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use Sierra transom seal kits on all jobs except warranty work, or if the customer specifically asks for OEM. Have never had a problem.

Bondo

Staff member

I use Sierra transom seal kits on all jobs except warranty work, or if the customer specifically asks for OEM. Have never had a problem.

Ayuh,.... Same here, My Own barge even,....

Got 8 years outa the 1st one on my barge, it was puffy, 'n needed to go, but didn't leak,...
Got 'bout 3 or 4 on this 1, with no signs of degradation,... don't leak,...

At Don'S proddin', I did, 'n still use Only the Merc. lower shift cables,......

Capt Ken

Commander

Actually Sierra makes two grades of shift cables now. Their higher end cable is much better than OEM

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Actually Sierra makes two grades of shift cables now. Their higher end cable is much better than OEM

That's good information. How do you know what to search for to make sure you get the better cable? Is it with the name 'tfxtreme' that I seem to find when trying to google this?

Mark

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Generally speaking you get a better made product if you stay with OEM.

OldNBold51

Petty Officer 2nd Class

did i miss something about a mandatory install of a new shift cable? am I required to replace the shift cable? the issue I saw during disassembly, how does the new shift cable bellows slide over the old shift cable's exposed end ?

So you guys don't think I'm slacking, I've gone though the manual but i may have missed that part.

Bondo

Staff member

did i miss something about a mandatory install of a new shift cable? am I required to replace the shift cable? the issue I saw during disassembly, how does the new shift cable bellows slide over the old shift cable's exposed end ?

So you guys don't think I'm slacking, I've gone though the manual but i may have missed that part.

Nope, not mandatory, just Suggested,.... You have to pull the cable apart to change Just the bellows,...

But, the cables wear out too, 'n usually don't last much longer than the bellows,....
So,....
I always do the Entire transom assembly, while it's already apart, cable included,...

'n to the point raised by Capt Ken,....
Mercruiser went to the specially coated inner cable, 'bout a year before the Sierra Extreme came out,...

They could well be the same cable, by the same cable manufacturer,... Donno....

But as I said, Don, 'n I went 'round, 'n round 'bout it,....
To leave All doubt behind, I just pick up the Merc cable from my friendly neighborhood Mercruiser Dealer,....

JustJason

Vice Admiral

did i miss something about a mandatory install of a new shift cable?

Chances are you will not be able to get the old one apart up on the shift plate, where it connects at the engine side. Shift cable removal is necessary to replace the shift cable bellow. And they don't like to come apart up top. Because of that, one usually ends up just cutting the end off with some bolt cutters or big electrician dikes. At least that's what I do. You can tape a string to your old cable when you pull it through. And then when you go to feed in the new cable, tape that to the string and pull it back through. It will help a lot if you get a helper when inserting and routing the new cable in.

I have done this job many a time over. I don't even bother trying to disassemble the old cable, I just cut it.

Last edited:

wrench 3

Commander

Chances are you will not be able to get the old one apart up on the shift plate, where it connects at the engine side. Shift cable removal is necessary to replace the shift cable bellow. And they don't like to come apart up top. Because of that, one usually ends up just cutting the end off with some bolt cutters or big electrician dikes. At least that's what I do. You can tape a string to your old cable when you pull it through. And then when you go to feed in the new cable, tape that to the string and pull it back through. It will help a lot if you get a helper when inserting and routing the new cable in.

I have done this job many a time over. I don't even bother trying to disassemble the old cable, I just cut it.

Never had a problem getting them apart but I do have to file the top end of the inner cable back to round were it gets crimped into the sleeve. I inspect the cable and casing really well, and if its OK, re-lube and reuse.