Mercruiser carburetor rebuild or replace?

boatman37

Lieutenant
q-jets are great carbs but it is getting harder to find good candidates. the throttle shaft issue has led to many of them being scrapped. they can be re-bushed but not by an amateur. i have owned an edelbrock once. very easy to tune. and have owned several holleys. also easy to tune. q-jets aren't that difficult to rebuild. the hardest part is probably trying to get the float set right. if you can find somebody with experience rebuilding them see if you can watch over their shoulder and have them teach you. i learned from one of the best q-jet gurus around back in the early 90's when i was racing. i like the spread bore design but holley also makes (made?) a spreadbore version

southkogs

Staff member
Howdy y'all - and welcome aboard Manley.

Manley if you've not read our forum rules please do so (link in my sig). We ask that you don't post in topics over 90 days old unless you're the original poster:

12. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months UN-LESS you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread. This is considered a hijack. Please start a new thread of your own.

This thread has been asleep for about a year, let's not wake it up.