Mercruiser 165 Engine swap (long shot)

Hello All
First of all I want to thank the legends on this site who have shared their expertise with dummies like me!!
On an earlier post I was advised to one day update my 60's & 70's Mercuiser 165 inline 6 setup. The previous owner must have been a good engineer as his unusual setup up lasted many many years (and still going).

I have had the opportunity to update to a reconditioned 1990 4 cylinder 165. Any chance that the engine mount locations will more or less line up. Or would i have major modifications on the hull to do?

Early 6 manifold.jpg
HEAT EXCHANGE COOLING .jpgHEAT EXCHANGE COOLING 3.jpg

Thanks in anticipation.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Mercruiser 165 Engine swap (long shot)

I'm not sure you would want that package. It's known, on this board, as the "470". Merc. designed aluminum block. Ford head.

The issues were the open deck block design and the odd charging system. Unless it's been converted.

While they served many well, there were some issues.

I wouldn't, purposely, convert to one.

Actually, a newer 135 HP four cylinder may be a better choice. The power is probably similar to your 165.

Or, you can go with a V-6 (4.3L) if your boat can handle the huge gain in power.

In any event, you will probably have to make some engine mount modifications. If I were converting, I'd go with an assembly-Prop to harmonic balancer.

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

not clear to me if you want just the engine or whole boat. at any rate the $5000 on the vid title is pretty steep and the motor is one most would change out, not into.

fleetwin is correct. better options out there

chrome dome

Petty Officer 1st Class

l think 5k is a fair price, its a local boat where prices...for boats or motors... are a bit different to the US,
can't comment on the 165....never had one,
but certainly looks like you've got plenty of room for other options if you choose to go down that road,
just had two holden 308's taken out and replacing them with 315 hp mercruisers, big, big bickies....

anywho, the only thing l can suggest has nuthin to do with donks
Whitworths has these seats
https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=137&item=75762&intAbsolutePage=1
on special at the moment,
good price and we've bought 8 of them over the years for different boats

Last edited:

Its been converted to a standard merc alternator setup, and always fresh water cooled, the leg & head have been reco'd. But I see you points,
Thanks for your feedback, very much appreciated.

Sorry Jaxnjil, thats actually the boat i bought for $920, I just put new windscreens, batteries, points, pushrods etc in her and got her going again. I just put it on youtube with the $5000 tag to appease the wife.

Sorry for confusion - already bought the boat for $920 was just thinking of updating to a 1990 3.7L 165hp reco'd engine as the price is right.

Bondo

Staff member

Sorry for confusion - already bought the boat for $920 was just thinking of updating to a 1990 3.7L 165hp reco'd engine as the price is right.

Ayuh,.... Just watched yer video,... A few things popped out at me,...

#1,... the 470 Ain't an Up-grade over yer I6 motor,... Newer maybe, but Not an Up-grade,...

Keep the I6, it sounds like it runs Great now,... might need some carb attention, with the stall at idle,...
'n parts are readily available for the ole Chevy,...

Yer controller is for an Outboard motor, with the hi-idle lever,...

Don't run the motor, while trimmin' the drive Full tilt Up,... it's hard on the u-joints,...
The ole MC-1 drive looks nice, 'n clean,....

The axle on yer wagon looks Way forward,...
I like 10%/ 15% of the weight on the coupler myself, it tows better,...

Thanks for your input Bondo, Achris etc.
The chev is running beautifully now (the vid was taken a while ago), after that vid there was a serious knock in the motor, Removed rocker cover and one of the arms had come off.
Push rod was bent & adjustment on all valves was all over the place. $5.00 replacement rod from Moby Marine & check all other rods & adjustment and shes sounding better then ever.
Shes purring now, but you're right about the carby, that and the gearbox is my next job.
What fuel do you recommend for her? I have a valve saver additive to add to it.
Trailer wise i agree about the weight on the coupler & it does feel funny, but i only tow it from avalon to bayview or palm beach.
I guess that could be remedied next time I do the axle & springs?
Does it matter the controller is for an an outboard. Gear changes & acceleration & deceleration are smooth as?
Thanks for all your advice !!

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks for your input Bondo, Achris etc.
The chev is running beautifully now (the vid was taken a while ago), after that vid there was a serious knock in the motor, Removed rocker cover and one of the arms had come off.
Push rod was bent & adjustment on all valves was all over the place. $5.00 replacement rod from Moby Marine & check all other rods & adjustment and shes sounding better then ever.
Shes purring now, but you're right about the carby, that and the gearbox is my next job.
What fuel do you recommend for her? I have a valve saver additive to add to it.
Trailer wise i agree about the weight on the coupler & it does feel funny, but i only tow it from avalon to bayview or palm beach.
I guess that could be remedied next time I do the axle & springs?
Does it matter the controller is for an an outboard. Gear changes & acceleration & deceleration are smooth as?

Thanks for all your advice !!

Ayuh,.... Fuel,..?? Gasoline of course,....
I wouldn't worry 'bout the valve additives,... Snake oil,....
If ya run it long enough to sink the valves in the head, have it rebuilt,... probably 2 lifetimes oughta do it,....

Does the trailer axle mount to a moveable sub-frame,..?? if so, slide it aft,...

If the controller Works,.... I don't see a Problem,.... ;)

wrench 3

Commander

I wouldn't worry 'bout the valve additives,... Snake oil,....
If ya run it long enough to sink the valves in the head, have it rebuilt,... probably 2 lifetimes oughta do it,....

The valve additive your talking about, I presume is lead substitute. It does work to lubricate the valves but needs a high concentration.
If your engine hasn't had any cylinder head work lately, you're probably OK. The pounding of the valves on the seats tends to case harden both over time. So as long as you don't regrind them they're resistant to wear.