Mercrusier Ford 302 to a Chevy 350

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant
Been eyen my next project for weeks....Stop and looked at a 1975 - 25' cabin boat...just a quick look and i did not even get in the boat.
Guy said it has a ford 302 froze up.......and i dont want a boat with a ford motor in it. It's a mercrusier...thats good!

What would it take parts wise to do the swap?

I dont even know if im gona buy it...just want to get some ideas on the swap.

Thanks!

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant
Re: Mercrusier Ford 302 to a Chevy 350

Thanks Chris...... Yea i figured all that would have to be new......but would the inner transom plate bolt to a pre 86 chevy flywheel cover?

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks Chris...... Yea i figured all that would have to be new......but would the inner transom plate bolt to a pre 86 chevy flywheel cover?

Ayuh,.... I'll go as far as "Probably" on that question,...

haulnazz15

Captain

Been eyen my next project for weeks....Stop and looked at a 1975 - 25' cabin boat...just a quick look and i did not even get in the boat.
Guy said it has a ford 302 froze up.......and i dont want a boat with a ford motor in it. It's a mercrusier...thats good!

What would it take parts wise to do the swap?

I dont even know if im gona buy it...just want to get some ideas on the swap.

Thanks!

Are you just anti-Ford or something? Lol. If the block being frozen is the only thing wrong with it, get another 302 and drop it in and go boating. The 302 is one of the best engines ever made in terms of reliability and ease of finding parts.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Pre 83. Yes.

As this is not really a repair, I'll move it to the non-repair section.

Last edited:

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Thanks guy's......Yes kinda a non ford person...... The dag-gum dist is on the wrong end of the motor...:facepalm: but i hear what you are saying. How know's what i might do.
Just always been a chevy person and the chevy small blocks are easy to find.

Just wanted to know if i had to change out the inner transom for the chevy. Havent bought the boat but wanted to get some idea's

haulnazz15

Captain

You'd need to change out the coupler, exhaust y-tube, bell housing, move fronts motor mounts. You'd also need to get a marine-starter for the GM unit, in addition to the starter solenoid setup for it as it is different than the Ford.

Ford 302/351w's are just about as plentiful as the GM 305/350 is. I wouldn't mess with a good engine setup, although I'd want a 351w as an upgrade in torque for a 25' cruiser.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Thanks guy's......Yes kinda a non ford person...... The dag-gum dist is on the wrong end of the motor...:facepalm: but i hear what you are saying. How know's what i might do.
Just always been a chevy person and the chevy small blocks are easy to find.

Just wanted to know if i had to change out the inner transom for the chevy. Havent bought the boat but wanted to get some idea's

My family always had Fords, and the first time I saw a GM engine that was what I thought about the GM, "Dang, the dissy's at the wrong end!"... :D

Axkiker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yea, I gotta think that just staying with a Ford is the best bet. My opinion would be different if you were trying to build some big race boat, or if the original motor was one of the odd ball Ford combos. Considering you are just looking for a stock, reliable cruiser, I would definitely stay with a 302 or 351 based motor.

Both the 351 and 302 are solid motors. Depending on the year and build they can produce very little power or a great deal. It just depends on the year, heads, build, etc. Both were made for years and years and are very plentiful. The aftermarket has a huge inventory when it comes to these motors and available parts.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Went by and took some pics....didnt talk to him anymore....wanted to do some checking on the boat itself. It a 1975 25' Carver...looks to be a sport fisherman. Gona do some checking in the next couple days.
He wants $6500 for it......No way... it's got a blown motor at that...does have a newer trailer. Im thinking more around $2500
Ill get some pics posted on monday when i get back to work.

Bondo

Staff member

Went by and took some pics....didnt talk to him anymore....wanted to do some checking on the boat itself. It a 1975 25' Carver...looks to be a sport fisherman. Gona do some checking in the next couple days.
He wants $6500 for it......No way... it's got a blown motor at that...does have a newer trailer. Im thinking more around $2500
Ill get some pics posted on monday when i get back to work.

Ayuh,.... Unless it's a fully equipped hull in factory condition, or better,...

I'm think yer more in the ballpark than the owner,...

Find yerself a rotten runabout with a 350/ Alpha, 'n you can up-date the entire driveline,....
Dependin' on how trashed the present driveline is, it may well be Cheaper,...

If the transom is rotten, yer gonna be in there anyways,....

Last edited:

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Yea been checking Craigslist and not much on the Ford parts/replacement motors.........Plenty of Chevy items to chose from.

Here is the pics of the boat...

phone pics 058.jpgphone pics 056.jpgphone pics 055.jpgphone pics 037.jpg

Last edited: