Mercruiser Cool Fuel replace with Racor

agallant80

Commander
I can't start to tell you how much I hate this cool fuel thing Mercruiser did. Can I just remove the fuel filter from the Cool Fuel housing and put an inline Racor between the tank and Cool Fuel pump?

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser Cool Fuel replace with Racor

I can't start to tell you how much I hate this cool fuel thing Mercruiser did. Can I just remove the fuel filter from the Cool Fuel housing and put an inline Racor between the tank and Cool Fuel pump?

It would appear it could be done, but what is the trouble your having?

agallant80

Commander

No problem really. I just hate spending $70 in filters every time I need to change them out. It just seams to be a way over complicated idea.

alldodge

Staff member

In my opinion I would say you could do it and leave the screen in their. Install the canister type (Racor or regular) and leave the screen filter, cup and top seal, remove the bottom seal and filter. Another option which would be to replace everything again with new, then add the canister filter before the module. With clean filters you could check every now and then and check status. This would require the filter to pull fuel through two filters but it shouldn't be to much of an issue. No one has tried it that I know of but 70 bucks is a bit much. The old VST tank setup is setup close to the way your wanting to go.