Mercruiser 3.0L to 2.2L Ecotec?

wdemaster

Cadet
I have a brainstorm that I am looking forward to sparking some interest and conversation on. I have looked a fair amount, but have found very little on the subject.

I have a 1973 Starcraft nova with a 3.0 Mercruser. I am wondering about the logistics of replacing the original motor with a GM 2.2L Ecotec motor. I have access to a few of these motors. I have found information that the 2.2 delivers the same to a little more HP as the 3.0.

Has anyone had any experience with any swap like this? Or any input on compatibility between an Alpha outdrive and this new of a motor?

-Wes

matt167

Captain
Re: Mercruiser 3.0L to 2.2L Ecotec?

2.2L Ecotec was never made as a marine engine, and the bolt pattern at the rear is not the same.. Expensive conversion without a huge gain..

thumpar

Admiral

The 2.2l probably doesn't have the torque curve meant for a boat. I doubt you would find the exhaust parts needed also.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It can be done. All it takes a mountain of $$$$. Better make 2 or 3 of everything because when it breaks, you have the only spares.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

to properly marinize an ecotec, you will spend about 4 times the cost of buying a new 3.0

you will be engineering and casting a water cooled marine manifold.

then you have the whole 2.2 not having a distributor issue to contend with. so to get the automotive electronic ignition to be marine approved, you have to jump thru a bunch of hoops.

sell the 2.2 liters to someone with a car, take the cash and buy a new 3.0 and go boating

ben2go

Chief Petty Officer
It has been done and is being done.It is more power, and surprisingly,the torque curve of the ecotec is close enough to work well.I know the pitfalls of using auto tuned engines for marine applications.It isn't cheap.If you are needing new exhaust parts then it may be viable,if you can find a good engine cheap.IF not,you can also use the 2.4 Ecotec N/A and supercharged version.There's also a turbo charged version,but I am unsure of that engine availability or viability.

Everything you need for the conversion. http://www.jetboatbase.co.nz/ecotec/...ng-components/

There are a lot of companies in the US that the parts can be bought through and maybe cheaper.Also,sand buggy and VW engine conversion shops sale stand alone engine management parts.Also,jet boats use the ecotec engine in all forms from the 1.4 industrial engine to the 2.4 Auto engine.

Last edited:

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Yes, it's an old topic. But it is at the same time a current topic.

For those that are interested, that NZ company only refers to connecting it to a jet-pump or maybe a marine transmission/V-drive etc. They didn't mention having a flywheel housing or adapter for a coupler.

You would need these things to put an Alpha on the back.

It's a really good engine and would probably work well driving an outdrive........But it would STILL cost more than just replacing a 3.0L engine with reman longblock.....

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
It is an old topic and it is not current. The info would be better served by starting a new topic, not tagging on to an old topic. Let this one be and start a new topic with new information. We do have to follow and enforce rules. Thanks.