Winterizing an Imperial Walkaround help please!

Rangerboat26

Cadet
Hi all,

I am currently winterizing my dad's 88 Imperial walk around cuddy with a 5.0 Mercruiser. However I am used to my Sea Ray's. I usually pull all the drain plugs on the block and manifolds, disconnect the hoses and call it a day. With plenty of room in the engine compartment to do so. Never had a problem doing it that way though I am considering antifreeze after reading some post's about rust. Anyhow I am having a real hard time with the port-side draincock on the engine block. There literally is no room for my hand to get in there at all. The boat hull literally is in the way. Tried the best I could but pretty much got a bad case of tendonitis trying to do so. I also noticed the oil filter is directed to the top of the exhaust manifold by some hoses instead of being near the oil pan on the port side. I bring this up cause it looks like imperial has acknowledged that there literally is no room to do much on the port side. When I pulled the starboard side block drain hardly any water came out. When I pulled the blue plastic plugs on bottom of the exhaust manifolds tons of water came out. So I'm trying to figure out how the hell did anyone winterize this thing? Would hate to lose an engine from one stubborn plug that I can't get out.

Thanks.....

jackd1023

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Winterizing an Imperial Walkaround help please!

You Must get the plug out, I know its a pain but it is a MUST. Stick a coat hanger, wire, pipe cleaner ,,, anything stiff into each drain hole in the block, to clear out any rust sand whatever that may be clogging the holes. My 5.0 must hold a gallon or more per side.

Fun Times

Staff member
Re: Winterizing an Imperial Walkaround help please!

Maybe you can find a neighborhood kid with thin hands/arms to reach in there to unscrew the plug, then have them poke into the fitting with a thin screwdriver to remove any sand build up.

Good luck.:)