Chevy getting out of Marine Engines?

wired1236

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A lot of noise is being created by the fact that Indmar had announced a deal with Ford to start producing their 6.2l engine. Rumors are that Chevy is wanting to get out of the Marine business. Anyone here have info or comments?

superbenk

Commander
Re: Chevy getting out of Marine Engines?

Hadn't heard that but I'm not really in any circles where I'd hear that so no comment on whether I think it's true or not. That'd be a HUGE disruption in the boating world as just about every small boat inboard or IO seems to be a GM based motor.

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer

A lot of noise is being created by the fact that Indmar had announced a deal with Ford to start producing their 6.2l engine. Rumors are that Chevy is wanting to get out of the Marine business. Anyone here have info or comments?

Can you cite where these "rumors" are coming from? A news publication, industry periodical, website link perhaps?

carey965

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't think you ever have to worry about gm getting out of the marine industry. It's a cash cow for them. These are motors that have been around forever and 90% of the motor manufacturers still use several different gm motors 1 motor for a smaller inboard manufacturer is not going to change the tide

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

GM is not really in the marine industry. A couple of days per year, Mercruiser rents the GM factory to cast engines to their specifications. The cast iron mixture's even different from what GM uses for their engines.

Mercruiser takes the rough castings back to their facilities to do the machining, etc.

And there are few engine companies out there that do as good of a job building V-8 engines as Mercruiser. Some of their highest horsepower engines are like a 500 cubic inch NASCAR engine.

tpenfield

Staff member

GM is not really in the marine industry. A couple of days per year, Mercruiser rents the GM factory to cast engines to their specifications. The cast iron mixture's even different from what GM uses for their engines.

Mercruiser takes the rough castings back to their facilities to do the machining, etc.

Is this true ??? I'd like to know more about this. :D

Last edited:

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Is this true ??? I'd like to know more about this.

I too have heard that from time to time, and while I have no direct knowledge about it one way or another, it seems to contradict what GM says. gmpowertrain.com has some videos where you can get more info. Each of the people interviewed there on the videos makes the point that the engines are engineered to withstand a heavy duty truck environment - and are then "turned into" marine engines.

Bondo

Staff member

I too have heard that from time to time, and while I have no direct knowledge about it one way or another, it seems to contradict what GM says. gmpowertrain.com has some videos where you can get more info. Each of the people interviewed there on the videos makes the point that the engines are engineered to withstand a heavy duty truck environment - and are then "turned into" marine engines.

Ayuh,.... 'n I'm a french Model too,...... ;) bonjuior,.... :laugh:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

Ayuh,.... 'n I'm a french Model too,...... ;) bonjuior,.... :laugh:

if its on the internet, it must be true. They cant put anything on the internet that isnt true......

GM powertrain motors for the Marine market come from the same plants that supply the genset and industrial motor customers. Plants in Brazil, Mexico, Canada, and the US.

Volvo and Mercruiser get their longblocks from the same place that Indmar and Illmor and PCM get their base motors.

Mercury Racing pulls 502 and 572 blocks from GMPP.

wired1236

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry guys to leave that hanging out there. Have been out of town. Here's the backup about Indmar. I can't substantiate the GM story but hey, it must be true...right?.

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...w-built-ford-tough--indmar-and-ford-anno.html

I paraphrased a post on another forum....

The "internet" ...."is stating a GM supply issue. Obviously GM and their 350 block have been a marine basic forever so they have a whole crap ton of them. Now the supply is getting low and GM has chosen not to produce them anymore. PCM had no clear cut plan on what they were going to do with their motor base once there were no more production GM 350's...."

So I doubt that GM will totally get out of it but who knows what's in their heads.

Last edited:

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

It wouldn't surprise me. They got rid of the caprice when EVERY police car seemed to be one.

LK

Peter Eikenberry

Chief Petty Officer

I follow the industry very closely and there is no truth to the rumor that GM is backing out. The truth is INDMAR got too far in the red making it's own blocks and is now going to use Ford blocks. That is news but not "NEWS". Ford has been in and out of the marine engine biz many times. They just found themselves a new way to get back in. Indmar is a favorite with the Ski boat industry and is a good niche market.

Also I have never heard that comment about Mercury casting it's own block before, and I have been in this biz for about 40 years. It wouldn't surprise if they did make some of their own for racing but not for the consumer market. Those are GM's. Of course back in the 90's Mercury was making special engines for GM to use in a special model Corvette. It was really cool to pop the hood and see Mercury on the engine.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

I went on a cruise once, and sat at meals with a family from Detroit area. The father worked in the foundry at GM, and he told me all about Mercury coming in periodically to cast marine engines.

Of course, engines are now more high tech than the old 302-350-454 engines. And the big blocks are up to 8.2 cubic inches--seriously big.

But torque is what boats need. And reliability and the ability to handle salt water is another issue. I can tell you that Mercury has never been the first to use high technology in any motor, as high rpm's are not needed. They like to keep'em low tech, low cost motors.

The LS motors at GM auto/truck have been out since 1997, but really in mass since 1999. They're great motors, and 50 pounds less than the Ford 4.6-5.4 engines.

But one of the new 5.0 Coyote engines with direct fuel injection and all the high tech features would make a great marine engine.

I have had 2 inboard outboards, and they just cause too many driveline problems after the first 5 years. 27 years ago, I bought a Yamaha 2 stroke, and it's been bulletproof. I bought a Yamaha 150hp four stroke last year for my new tritoon boat. No more I/O's for me.

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It would seem to make sense that marine engines would move away from the old 5.0 and 5.7 blocks to the new 5.3 and 6.0 engines. They certainly got away from the 7.4 when the 8.1 came out. I never thought about it before but why would they make that change but keep the old blocks for the smaller engines. I think it would be great if boats started coming with a 6.0 instead of a 5.7.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

Boats are coming out with the 6.0. however the cost of the package is about $6k higher than a plain 5.7.

with the 5.7, its cast iron, and can be raw water cooled.

the 6.0 is fuel injected, aluminum, and comes with catalyzed exhaust, a full fresh water cooling system