Quick Cold Spell Question

smcclure0270

Cadet
I live in South Carolina, and I'm yet another first time boater. I had planned on putting my boat up for the winter around mid November, when the temperatures stay low. However, I planned on taking the boat out at least once more at the beginning of the month for my birthday. They problem is, this week the weather is forecast to have a low temperature around the mid 30s. I'm not ready to totally do the winterization process yet unless you guys think it is time.

I am actually wondering if I could just simply pull the drain plugs (I only have 2, since I have a Mercruiser 3.0LX) and drain the water from the engine. Is that enough to prevent damage to the engine so that I can get the boat out on the water again, or at the very least long enough to get the full winterization complete?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Quick Cold Spell Question

As long as the block and manifold are drained and the drive in the DOWN position, you should be good. I'd also drop the big hose off the water pump at the front of the engine too....

Chris.....

thumpar

Admiral

Poke a wire in the drain holes in the engine and drive just to be sure also.

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Welcome to iboats. I live in Ohio and always winterize my boat/s in November. My theory and experience is: It has to be below freezing everyday for several days in a row to do damage. Kinda like January of February weather. It's getting to the upper 30's at night here, but upper 40's and 50s by day. That's no problem. Keep an eye on the forecast though. It gets a bit rough winterizing in the rain.

chriscraft254

Commander

There calling for low 30s here by Thursday but only one day. I would be more worried about the outdrive than the motor. You can wrap the outdrive with some blankets to keep it a little warmer. If it hard freezes though, it can crack your housing.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander

Welcome to iboats. I live in Ohio and always winterize my boat/s in November. My theory and experience is: It has to be below freezing everyday for several days in a row to do damage. Kinda like January of February weather. It's getting to the upper 30's at night here, but upper 40's and 50s by day. That's no problem. Keep an eye on the forecast though. It gets a bit rough winterizing in the rain.

I agree. I'm in western NY winterizing first or second week in Nov. It will also depend whether or not she's in the water - in these parts, the water insulates (while its still liquid anyways). But yes, then it usually means a cold rainy day for winterizing (but its worth it to me).

Chef Shawn

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Chris is right, I actually pull both the upper and lower hoses off. And because I'm a cheap bastard, I run the compressor air through all of those openings for an hour to make myself feel better. Look, you can drink beer and listen to the radio while you do it, cheap insurance.

Better than a cracked block.

Walt T

Lieutenant

Compressed air huh? Sure why not. See now I learn something new everyday. Why yesterday I learned my daughter has been driving my S-10 with no antifreeze. "Temperature gauge Daddy? Whats that?"