Bump engine after draining block?

Dui

Seaman
I drained engine block and manifolds and poked wire to ensure drained. Will the water pump vanes hold in any water in the water pump or will they drain? Are the vanes/impeller in the water pump metal or rubber? I suspect metal and therefore there must be some clearance for water to drain around them. Is that why some people bump their engine via starter for a quick turn without starting?
Also, do you need to add any AF to the sump pump outlet or does it self drain?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Bump engine after draining block?

I drained engine block and manifolds and poked wire to ensure drained. Will the water pump vanes hold in any water in the water pump or will they drain? Are the vanes/impeller in the water pump metal or rubber? I suspect metal and therefore there must be some clearance for water to drain around them. Is that why some people bump their engine via starter for a quick turn without starting?
Also, do you need to add any AF to the sump pump outlet or does it self drain?

Ayuh,.... You should pull the Big hose off the circulatin' water pump, as it can hold up to a quart of water,....

The bilge pump is self-drainin',... No antifreeze needed in the bilge,...

'n, No,... no reason to turn the motor over,...

Dui

Seaman

Bondo, mine is the single point draining system. I know you are not fond of it ...neither am I but its what I have. The hose self drains. I was concerned about water being trapped in the water pump itself. Is that likely.? Respect your opinion.

Bondo

Staff member

Bondo, mine is the single point draining system. I know you are not fond of it ...neither am I but its what I have. The hose self drains. I was concerned about water being trapped in the water pump itself. Is that likely.? Respect your opinion.

Ayuh,.... For that reason alone, Pull the Block Drains,...

Pull the hoses off the block, 'n make Sure it's drained,...

Those systems will cause a cracked block,....

Dui

Seaman

I. Always pull the quick connects from the engine block and use a coat hanger to poke the holes. I got that advice from you Bondo. Thanks, the tools stays in the boat. I don't however, unclamp the water pump hose...is the water. Pump able to retain water?

Bondo

Staff member

Will the water pump vanes hold in any water in the water pump or will they drain? Are the vanes/impeller in the water pump metal or rubber? I suspect metal and therefore there must be some clearance for water to drain around them.

Ayuh,.... The circulatin' water pump has a cast iron impeller, but unless ya pull the big hose off it, it can't drain completely,...

It's slightly uphill in the pump cavity, 'n into the motor's block,...
It won't be full of water, as some drains out through the block,...
But, some will stay in the impeller cavity, 'n of course in the big hose,...

Durin' an over winter season, it usually don't hurt the pump, because of it's tin backin' plate, which allows abit of expansion,...
I gotta believe the seal takes a beatin' though,...

I discovered this when I used to Musky hunt right up to Ice In,... December or January,..
One day I backed down the launch, 'n lit my motor only to see the circulatin' water pump was frozen, not turnin',...

Since then, I Always pull the big hose off the circulatin' water pump,...
'n No problems since,...

Fun Times

Staff member

I Always pull the quick connects from the engine block and use a coat hanger to poke the holes.
Hi there, Just a quick curious question for you! When you pulled the quick connects, did you "have to" poke the holes to release more water out of the block due to blockage or was it already drained by then when you opened the water distribution housing?

I know it's a 50/50 gamble if they are blocked or not. Also be aware that the latest service manual mentions that it should take about 5 minutes minimum to drain. Keep in mind that's in a perfect world with no blockage etc.

Also the manual does recommend on models with sea water pumps to slightly crank over the engine to purge any left over water without letting the engine to start with the blue plugs removed. But your system does not have this system so it's your call if you would like to bump it over or not.

Does your thermostat housing have a blue plug? If so it is a vent and needs to be open during draining.

Dui

Seaman

I poked the holes after it finished draining but no more water came out so I'm confident all the water is out of the block. I took about that long and I measured about 5 gallons of water drained out into my bucket at the back of my drain plug...I usually measure it to make sure I got all the water. Yes I have the blue plug and I use it as a vent when I drain the system .