Want to clean and paint engine

sitkamick

Seaman
I am getting ready to pull my 350 chevy engine out of my boat to clean and paint it. Are there any real good degreasers and paints that I should look for that you folks have had success with? I live in S.E. Alaska so don't have access to alot of fancy stuff. Would really like to use "rattle" cans if possible but could possibly use a spray gun.

Volphin

Lieutenant
Re: Want to clean and paint engine

Gunk engine degreaser works well, but it's just aerosol kerosene. Advance auto parts Brake cleaner is good too and non flammable.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Bag it Real Good, 'n start with a diesel brush wash for the greasy spots,...
Scrape, brush off the rusty spots, Scrub everything else with a scrubby pad, 'n power-wash it,....

Blowin' it dry with compressed air, 'n a nozzle will get alot more stuff ya might miss too,...

My favorite rattlecan motor paint is Rustoleum,...

My latest 1 is hammered Gold finish,.....

sitkamick

Seaman

Thanks so much, looks like a good start for me. I have one difficult engine mounting bolt on the Gimbal that doesn't want to come loose and of course it is down behind the engine and rear heat exchanger. Probably will have to try a little heat and see if that will break it loose. 600 pound air impact doesn't want to budge it. Hope someone didn't use loc-tite instead of grease when they install this engine a couple of years ago. Man it's tight!! Have been soaking it with some PB Blaster with hopes it may help.
Any other ideas?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

The only thing I can suggest for the stuck bolt is a bigger breaker bar - careful with the heat.

On the cleaning and paint - after you paint it I would suggest spraying it down with a good corrosion inhibitor. I like CRC:

6400186.jpg

Here is SW Florida things get pretty rusty in the saltwater environment and paint just isn't enough. This stuff works pretty good.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

I don't like the Gunk stuff.
It needs to be cleaned off after you clean it:(
I use the purple stuff from Wally World.
They also have a spray carb cleaner that works good.
I also like Dawn dish soap.
I use it when I clean carbs and such. It doesn't leave a residue like some of the others do.