Corrosion issues on motor

superbenk

Commander
We're looking at a 2008 Four Winns H200 that's in nearly brand-new condition with a few small caveats. A couple corrosion issues popped out at me when looking at the engine that'd I'd like some input on.

First is this corrosion on what I think is the power steering pump. Any idea what would have caused this & what should be done about it?
IMG_00156.jpg

IMG_00158.jpg

Additionally there is some corrosion on the engine mounting bolts. It doesn't look too bad, but wanted some opinions:
IMG_00162.jpg

I didn't get a lot of pictures, but you can view the whole album here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/102782264640776793236/2008FourWinnsH200?authkey=Gv1sRgCP398LfrnLGakQE#

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Corrosion issues on motor

Very strange... Almost looks like that side of the engine (port) copped a bath.... Should clean up and paint ok... I'd use a rust converter on it first though... ;)

When you take it for a test ride, just watch that side of the engine bay and see if there's any water getting sprayed around.

Chris....

Last edited:

seilings

Seaman Apprentice

I had similar issue of the engine mount corrosion, but not as bad as this one.
when I bought my Maxum boat with 4.3L mercruiser engine of only 57 hours, I noticed this starboard side engine mount has corrosion sign, the port side of engine mount was as brand new and clean. At that time I didn't know how it becomes like this.

so every time after we toke the boat on water for couple of hours, I found some water in the bilge, not much. I thought it was because of wave splash, or kids playing water. But one time I was pretty sure no water splash and no water was introduced into the boat while cruising.
But I still saw some water (around 1 litter). so i looked around very carefully while flushing engine with muff on in drive way.
I finally found that the drain plug above that engine mount was leaking, the water was leaking down alone the engine mount and was hard to be noticed. I think that was the reason why that engine mount had corrosion. So I replaced the drain plug with a bigger O ring, and it never leak again. Problem solved.

Last edited:

superbenk

Commander

Any ideas what would cause the corrosion on the power steering pump? How big of a concern are these items in everyone's opinions? The boat spent most of its time stored (dry) at the marine dealership where it was serviced. It only has 16 hrs on a 2008! Should I try to have them replace the pump and/or rusted engine mount as part of the deal? Does it hint at potentially other problems I should ask about?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The rust looks superficial and really not a problem.
Like Acris suggested a rust inhibitor and paint.
The mount remove and clean again paint.
It's possible it's had some water in the bildge and those pieces were the only parts affected?
The pump isn't cheap so the guy probably won't change it. Offer him less.
A boat that's not used is usually covered and subject to rusting.
Your doesn't look too bad.

alldodge

Staff member

I think someone sprayed some kind of a bit caustic cleaner on the parts to make it look pretty, but did not get all of it off before storing. As others mentioned I don't see an issue which cannot be fixed with a bit of cleaning and fresh paint.

superbenk

Commander

I think someone sprayed some kind of a bit caustic cleaner on the parts to make it look pretty, but did not get all of it off before storing. As others mentioned I don't see an issue which cannot be fixed with a bit of cleaning and fresh paint.

That's an interesting theory. Salesman is going to talk to the service dept. there & get their take. He's going to check out the boat's records too. Boat's been maintained since it was brand new at this dealership so they have all the records. He's going to check with the seller to see what he's interested in covering if anything. I'm not sure I'm going to make any of these items a deal-breaker.

Only other item I saw was some grease on the backside of the disc brake hubs which leads me to believe it probably needs new seals. Again, not a big deal at all.

Thanks for the input, guys! I'll keep everyone posted on how the deal turns out (if there is one)!