Audible Engine Alarm? Not Present?

enginesilo

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 2005 Searay 180SP and I don't think it has an audible alarm. When I turn the key I don't hear a long beep like some boats I have had in the past. Should I assume it does not have an audible alarm for engine problems since I don't hear the beep on start up?

Can anyone direct me to where the alarm typically is? Under the dash near the gauge or ignition? Ever in the engine compartment or almost always under the dash?

If it doesn't have an alarm now, do manufacturers typically pre-wire and have a spot where it can be plugged in?

Any tips appreciated.

SB Ridge

Cadet
Last edited:

SB Ridge

Cadet
Re: Audible Engine Alarm? Not Present?

Here this may help more. Here is a wiring diagram from the same manual that shows the Engine Alarm.
2005 Sea Ray 180 SP  Wire Diagam 1.JPG

Good Luck. SB Ridge

Fun Times

Staff member

:welcome: to iboats, i'll be moving your thread to the proper forum and bumping it to the top for now. Good luck.:)

enginesilo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here this may help more. Here is a wiring diagram from the same manual that shows the Engine Alarm.
View attachment 211858

Good Luck. SB Ridge
Wow, thanks for the specifics SB Ridge!
I'm going to go through this and look to see where the alarm is. I don't ever hear it but i'm not sure if its supposed to sound at start up as a test. Time to investigate.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I have a 2005 Searay 180SP and I don't think it has an audible alarm. When I turn the key I don't hear a long beep like some boats I have had in the past. Should I assume it does not have an audible alarm for engine problems since I don't hear the beep on start up?

Can anyone direct me to where the alarm typically is? Under the dash near the gauge or ignition? Ever in the engine compartment or almost always under the dash?

If it doesn't have an alarm now, do manufacturers typically pre-wire and have a spot where it can be plugged in?

Any tips appreciated.

Can we please know what engine you have (the make and model of the boat is completely irrelevant)? Difficult to know what alarms, if any, if we don't know what engine....

Chris....

thumpar

Admiral

You could have alarms even with the beep at key on. It could just be a simple engine temp and oil pressure alarm. Need to figure out what you have.

enginesilo

Petty Officer 1st Class

As I looked at the Sea Ray 180 SP owner's manual, it indicates that more information about if your model has an alarm and where it is and how to test it are in the engine manual that came with your boat. What information do you have about your engine type, size, TKS, MPI?
http://www.searay.com/boat_graphics/electronic_brochure/Company1729/1C1_23_74DEJAL4797.pdf

SB Ridge
The wiring diagram definitely shows the engine alarm wired in, but I wonder if it actually is there as an add-on or option. Does that typically live right under the dash near the gauges? I can't get down to my boat for a few days but will be going under there and investigating soon.

The manual states that you must check your engine operator's manual to see if the boat is equipped with one or not. I will take a look in my paperwork also.

You could have alarms even with the beep at key on. It could just be a simple engine temp and oil pressure alarm. Need to figure out what you have.
I have the 3.0L Mercruiser engine in this boat. I can't remember if I hear a faint simple beep or not, will have to go down and check soon.

achris

The standard configuration for the alarm on the 3.0L is an oil pressure switch, a water temperature switch and a drive lube oil monitor switch. When any one of these switches closes the alarm should sound. You will find the switches on the engine, with a tan/blue wire attached. To test the alarm buzzer, ground any one of these tan/blue wires with the ignition key in the RUN position, and the alarm should sound....

Chris......

Last edited:

enginesilo

Petty Officer 1st Class

The standard configuration for the alarm on the 3.0L is an oil pressure switch, a water temperature switch and a drive lube oil monitor switch. When any one of these switches closes the alarm should sound. You will find the switches on the engine, with a tan/blue wire attached. To test the alarm buzzer, ground any one of these tan/blue wires with the ignition key in the RUN position, and the alarm should sound....

Chris......
Thanks for the specifics Chris. I'm trying to remember if I've seen the tan/blue wire, or a sensor of some sort on the gear lube but I don't think so. Maybe my boat isn't equipped?

In relation to wires and sensors, does the thermostat have 2 wires going to it, or just 1? Is the sensor wire for the temp gauge the same that goes through the alarm circuit, or are there separate wires?

achris

The alarm and gauge systems are completely separate. The gauges use senders (variable resistance) and the alarm uses switches (on and off)....

If the thermostat housing has 2 wires going to it, and one of them is not black, then they should be a tan and a tan/blue.... :D

Chris......

SB Ridge

Cadet

Enginesilo, Hope you have resolved your issue. I was reviewing this and verified on my 05 Glastron 175SX the Audible Alarm is under the dash.. an non-descript looking little black box tied into the Tan w/ Blue wire.

SB Ridge.