Oli Filter for 1985 MerCruiser 3.0

Jacalore

Chief Petty Officer
Did a bit of research on this, but only found conflicting information. Also, scanned the engine manual and found no oil filter number in there anywhere. It's a 1985 MerCruiser 3.0L 140.

Reading the posts from various places, most warn against using Fram filters. I have a NAPA store up the road, so a cross to one of their filters would be ideal. I did find a few references to NAPA filters for a Merc 3.0, but they were all different numbers. Any help appreciated!

I understand the qty and weight should be 4 qts of 25W40, is that correct?

Thanks!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Oli Filter for 1985 MerCruiser 3.0

Did a bit of research on this, but only found conflicting information. Also, scanned the engine manual and found no oil filter number in there anywhere. It's a 1985 MerCruiser 3.0L 140.

Reading the posts from various places, most warn against using Fram filters. I have a NAPA store up the road, so a cross to one of their filters would be ideal. I did find a few references to NAPA filters for a Merc 3.0, but they were all different numbers. Any help appreciated!

I understand the qty and weight should be 4 qts of 25W40, is that correct?

Thanks!

Ayuh,... The 3.0l takes the same filter as All the SBCs, except the 4.3l which is different,...

Napa has all kinds of filters that fit, the various part numbers are just changes in the volume of oil the filter holds,...

If yer Lucky enough to find a Parts Guy worth his salt, he can explain it clearer,...
Basically, the length changes,...
Use whichever 1 ya got room for,...

Btw,... Napa filters are rebadged Wix, which are some of the Best,...

Jacalore

Chief Petty Officer

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!
Found a few with nearly identical specs, but this one says MerCruiser.

OilFil.jpg

Jacalore

Chief Petty Officer

Is that 4 qts of 25W40 oil with or without the filter?

Thanks.