Alpha 1 EZ steer connection

big zeke

Seaman Apprentice
I'm in the process of fabricating an EZ steer from my Alpha 1 to my 9.9 kicker. The mount on the kicker is dead simple but I am scratching my head on options for the drive side. There are 4 12 sided bolts holding the top of the upper gear housing on but their position is not optimal and they are hard to get to. Any suggestions on what I can fabricate to go on this side. For the most part, the drive will be in the down position while the kicker is in use, the kicker is on a swing up mount that allows it to move up and down about 8" (from the storage to the run position).

I've done a bit of googling to no avail, I'd hate to mess up a sweet drive by mislocating the mount. I think if I do this right, I can just connect the mounts with either 1/2 stainless tubing (from my work) or a fairly rigid plastic rod that can float and never rust...I'm getting ahead of myself until I sort out the mount.

Any suggestions (and pics pls) are appreciated
Zeke

Re: Alpha 1 EZ steer connection

Can't help ya, but I'm subscribing to your thread because I'd like to do the same between my pre-Alpha and 9.9. Interested to hear the suggestions!

big zeke

Seaman Apprentice

Sort of like the EZ steer model but made from stainless, it mounts the same way to the outdrive. The tie-rod is a piece of acetal plastic rod (1" dia) that is threaded on both ends to accept some swivel joints from a lawn tractor steering, they are held in place by both the threading and a #4X1" machine screw that is drilled into the threads . The tie rod slides onto stainless bolts protruding horizontally from each bracket and it held in place with small stainless hitch pins (maybe 1" long each), running this horizontal means the up and down travel of the ends uses up the rotation of the tie-rod end (which is endless, it's a ball). The rod floats just in case it gets disconnected, the only parts that aren't stainless are plastic. The rod makes a good beating stick when not in use, just in case the boatmates don't listen.

It's quite the masterpiece if I do say so myself. If I can ever figure out how to post pics I'll show you.
Zeke

alldodge

Staff member

It's quite the masterpiece if I do say so myself. If I can ever figure out how to post pics I'll show you.
Zeke

Sound great Zeke, look forward to seeing them.
To post pics they need to be small in size (bites); if they are, and are on your computer or local file locate the picture image on top the reply bar. Click on it and it will open a window to select files. You can enter several so long as they are small (under 200K). If they are large use somethiing like photobucket and select the image code and copy it to your post message

big zeke

Seaman Apprentice

Here it is...both connections are mounted low enough to allow the kicker and leg to operate thru their full range. The rod weighs about 3 lbs and is very stiff

EZ steer 001.JPGEZ steer 002.JPGEZ steer 003.JPGEZ steer 004.JPGEZ steer 005.JPG

alldodge

Staff member

Here it is...both connections are mounted low enough to allow the kicker and leg to operate thru their full range. The rod weighs about 3 lbs and is very stiff

Nice job, I think it will work very well. My only comment would be the clamps on the kicker way start to move over time. If a pop rivet or small stainless bolt was put through the bracket through to the clamp could help.

Again nice job

big zeke

Seaman Apprentice

Ya, I thought about that but I don't want to drill into the leg. The clamps pass thru the stainless bracket so nothign can slip off, the inside of the kicker bracket is coated with some paint-on plastic that is very sticky so this should help glue it in place while still being removeable. As usual, the clamps will need to be checked from time to tie to ensure they are tight.

No order forms needed, I can walk you thru the steps and suppliers fro the various bits, there is a fair bit of fabrication involved as well.