Mercruiser 5.7 Bravo 3 - Water coming out where inner prop meets housing? Normal ?

tomskiier2013

Recruit
Is it normal to have a little water coming out of the prop shaft area where the inner prop meets the lowr unit housing?

If not, what do you think the issue is and any info on how tofix ? I am pretty mechanical and do most of my own work, but have not pulled lower unit off myself? ( Hopefully we dont need to go to that)

If U run it this way for a short while, is that an issue?

Thanks
Tom

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercruiser 5.7 Bravo 3 - Water coming out where inner prop meets housing? Normal

Normal. No seal there, if there was it would have to completely surround the prop itself. Does it also flow out of the end of the props? Tilted down?

Welcome aboard!

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Mercruiser 5.7 Bravo 3 - Water coming out where inner prop meets housing? Normal

If not, what do you think the issue is and any info on how tofix ? I am pretty mechanical and do most of my own work, but have not pulled lower unit off myself? ( Hopefully we dont need to go to that)

You're fine with water coming out there, it's not a sealed area. But hopefully someone else is pulling your drive every year. It is basic maintenance to check alignment, grease the shaft splines, and make sure the bellows are dry.