4.3L Mercruiser bellows

Newowner2011

Petty Officer 3rd Class
What does the bellows do ? If that is leaking will that put water into my boat ?

Fun Times

Staff member
Re: 4.3L Mercruiser bellows

The U-joint bellows keeps the U-joints on your stern drive, the gimbal bearing, and the inside of the boat dry along with preventing water from getting into the stern drive gear lube.

Yes, it will put water into the boat.

It's a maintenance item that should be done every so often or according to your owners or service manual maintenance guide.:)

achris

More fish than mountain goat

What does the bellows do ? If that is leaking will that put water into my boat ?

Which one are you referring to? There are 3 bellows on an Alpha style drive.

Uni Bellows (the biggest one) As FT said... If it leaks, yes, water in the boat, a lot of it!
Shift bellows (smallest, on the starboard side next to the Uni bellows). Allows the shift cable to move as the drive is turned. Will also allow water into the boat if it's damaged.
Exhaust bellows (medium size one below the Uni bellows). Directs exhaust and existing cooling water down through the drive exhaust path. Fills with water when the engine is not running. splits and tears are not a problem....

Chris........

bruzr78

Recruit

if you are replacing them yourself,i found that spending the extra money on genuine parts on the bellows is worth it. they seem to fit easier. Not that aftermarket dont fit, it just is harder to install.

ba5e

Seaman

Also, I highly recommend buying the bellows tool for installing the exhaust bellows, it will pay for itself the first time you use it!!

Do you have a leak?

bruzr78

Recruit

I did have my bellows dry rott and cause a leak. I did replace them, but have a very little water coming in now. I believe its in the drive bellow where the u joints and bearing is. I had them all greased real well and sounds like they need it again. Any suggestions on fixing this im all ears.