Volvo Penta OMC SX Cobra outdrive oil info

ron3033

Seaman
I HPIM0894.jpgHPIM0895.jpgHPIM0896.jpgimg012.jpg I have a 1995 Four Winns with a Volvo Penta SX Cobra outdrive (light gray colour) plate on side of outdrive says product number 3868156 type (left blank) gear ratio1.66 I believe it is a cone clutch.

I always used OMC Ultra HPF gearcase lube PN508318, yellow oil, but got discontinued. I now have been using Bombardier Evinrude/Johnson Ultra HPF gearcase lube PN 775601. But it seems this is not around now either, or I just have not found some. I was told Evinrude/Johnson Ultra HPF Pro is different?

Is Mobil 1 GL 5 standards, 75w90 okay for this drive?
The dip stick is about 6 inches long and has a flat portion on it. I assume that oil level anywhere on the flat portion is full. When I fill it from the bottom plug until oil runs out the oil level hole (outdrive is level using a level on the fins & I let it sit about 15 minutes) The oil comes about 1/2 to 3/4 of the flat spot on the dip stick. I assume it does not have to come to the top where the round and flat parts meet
Thanks for the help
ron3033

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Penta OMC SX Cobra outdrive oil info

Is Mobil 1 GL 5 standards, 75w90 okay for this drive?

GL5 Synthetic 75W90 is what Volvo call for in it's specs. Doesn't matter who makes it.

As long as the oil is within the hash marks on the dipstick, it's fine.

HalfFish5087

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was told Evinrude/Johnson Ultra HPF Pro is different? ron3033

Is it GL5?

Is Mobil 1 GL 5 standards, 75w90 okay for this drive?ron3033

Yes, but I can't find it anywhere without LS (limited slip) already in it. I have been going back to Volvo to get mine, but may switch to using Merc High Performance at next change.

The dip stick is about 6 inches long and has a flat portion on it. I assume that oil level anywhere on the flat portion is full. When I fill it from the bottom plug until oil runs out the oil level hole (outdrive is level using a level on the fins & I let it sit about 15 minutes) The oil comes about 1/2 to 3/4 of the flat spot on the dip stick. I assume it does not have to come to the top where the round and flat parts meet
Thanks for the help
ron3033

My manual says as long as its on the flat portion of the dipstick, but I try and keep it about 1/4" to the top of flattened area.

By the way, that is one clean boat!

Last edited:

ron3033

Seaman

Hi Don Thanks

There is no hash markings on my stick, just a flat portion. So any where on the flat part good to go? (See my pencil drawing in the first post, it is the 4th image." Thank You

"As long as the oil is within the hash marks on the dipstick, it's fine."

ron3033

Seaman

Hello HalfFish Mobil 1 does meet GL5 and about $10.99/ litre at Adv&$ce Auto, Volvo about $19. See Don S answer above too.

Boat has not been in yet this season, but I give her a good wax every year, and it does not sit in a marina. Thanks for noticing.

HalfFish5087

Petty Officer 1st Class

I didn't say Mobil 1 didn't meet GL5, I said good luck finding Mobil 1 without LS (limited slip).

Mobil 1 75W-90 SHC full syn is not made any more.

It is now made under their brand Delvac which I can not find anywhere.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Mobil 1 LS has a "Friction modifier" added to allow the clutches in limited slip diffs to work. I would be very surprised if it didn't work in our outdrives with their cone clutches. It certainly worked in my 4x4 rear axle for 237,000 km. Ask your question at "Bob's the oil guy" forum, some seriously well informed people there.

ron3033

Seaman

Is the limited slip going to cause problems? Now I am getting more unsure of what to use?

ron3033

I didn't say Mobil 1 didn't meet GL5, I said good luck finding Mobil 1 without LS (limited slip).

Mobil 1 75W-90 SHC full syn is not made any more.

It is now made under their brand Delvac which I can not find anywhere.