Bellows adhesive smoking?

agilchrist

Recruit
Weird. I opened a new tube of Sierra bellows adhesive yesterday. Today as I was preparing to finish up re-installation of the lower unit, I noticed that the side of the tube had a small split in it, and the visible adhesive had turned black. When I squeezed the tube, smoke came out. Eventually, some yellow adhesive came out, and I was able to finish the job. However, the tube, lying on the ground, continued to smoke and ooze black adhesive.

It acts as if it's reacting with something, but what? It's been pretty hot here (108 yesterday). Is there a max temperature limit for the adhesive? It's still sitting outside (don't want to put it back in the garage just in case it bursts into flames).

Has anyone else experienced this?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Bellows adhesive smoking?

Perhaps a trip to your local Merc dealer for the "Real Thing" might be in order. That sierra stuff is really thin compared to the OEM as well.
I tried that garbage one time, threw a full tube away.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Yea, the Mercruiser bellows cement is some black, greasy stuff. You cannot do the job without it.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

Sometimes when them tubes sit around to long,they go bas/ingredients separate in the tube. It should be one color all the way through.get the real stuff!image.jpg grub

Bulbash

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I replaced my bellows on OMC cobra I did not use any cement... Should I be concerned about it now?