1987 3.0 Liter,,,fuel treatment

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
When I pick up my boat from shop this week,, (in for carb adjustment and cleaning) what's the best fuel treatment to add (if any) for my 3 liter engine to keep it running smooth,, or are additives completely unnecessary? The motors tuned up and running well,, lets assume that's the case,,, what would you guys use for your boat engine in terms of fuel additives,, necessary or a complete waste of money? thanks all!

airshot

Rear Admiral
Re: 1987 3.0 Liter,,,fuel treatment

Many on here call it snake oil, and are obviously not users, from my own perspective, there are times when I have used it and times when I have not used it. I have never had a problem while using it, but on ocassion have had difficultied when not using it, but if I add it tha problem goes away. In my area we do get some poor quality fuel on ocassion so I use the blue stabil in my boat and in my car as well. About once a year just before winter I run a healthy dose of seafoam thru boat and car. As I stated before I have never had a problem while using it but have had problems when not using it or I forget to add it. You can draw your own conclusions......

Airshot

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1987 3.0 Liter,,,fuel treatment

I have never had a problem while using it but have had problems when not using it or I forget to add it. You can draw your own conclusions......

Airshot

Most of us have NOT had problems not using "Snake-oil"

It also depends on how long you have allowed your boat to sit with fuel in the tank. Adding it now will not help anything.

If you were going to add Snake-oil, (like Sea-Foam, Lake-Snot, River-Shiver, Stream-Cream or equivalent) it needed to be added when you put the boat up for storage.....not now after the fact!

Every year I park my boat (in the garage) around the end of SEP or so, and pull it out sometime in the middle of June.

I store it with 1/4-1/2 a tank (44 gallon tank) and fill it up before I run it.

I use NO Snake-oil (naptha, kerosene, alcohol// mineral-oil mix) I've been doing it this way for many years of either California Reformulated gas and E-10 etc.

It hasn't caused any problems yet!

So using it with no problem is a LOT like NOT using it WITH NO PROBLEMS It doesn't seem that either one is the cause of ANYTHING.

My guess is that fuel system problems are caused by what they're ALWAYS caused by, contamination, plugged filters, lack of general maintenance, etc.

BUT NOT lack of "Snake-Oil" use.

Most people use it because it makes them feel good......just like brand of oil. I prefer to have a beer with the money I save by not using snake-oils! Or, I just buy more gasoline.

ymmv.