Getting hardened rubber off of exhaust elbow

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
VP 5.0GL-H with SX-A drive

Got into a little mud friday and had a port exhaust overheat. Water temp stayed normal, and the blockage cleared itself apparently, but not after burning up a good amount of the two exhaust elbow bellows underneath the metal clamps. I'm thinking the thermostat housing may have been the location of the blockage since it is the smallest passageway. The rubber on the exhaust temp sensor even melted a little. Allowed to cool down, checked the thermostat housing and hose to the manifold, both clear. Started back up and headed back and it ran cool the whole time with just a small dripping leak from the top elbow bellows.

I ordered a new temp sensor and new bellows. My question is, as the rubber was melting it ran down the exhaust elbow then hardened on there when it cooled down. How can I clean this off (basically hardened rubber on cast iron)? With a razor blade it pops right off, so it's not like it is really stuck on, but I'd like to clean it all off while I have it apart.

Nivekt

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Getting hardened rubber off of exhaust elbow

I would try a circular wire brush on a drill.

Bondo

Staff member

VP 5.0GL-H with SX-A drive

Got into a little mud friday and had a port exhaust overheat. Water temp stayed normal, and the blockage cleared itself apparently, but not after burning up a good amount of the two exhaust elbow bellows underneath the metal clamps. I'm thinking the thermostat housing may have been the location of the blockage since it is the smallest passageway. The rubber on the exhaust temp sensor even melted a little. Allowed to cool down, checked the thermostat housing and hose to the manifold, both clear. Started back up and headed back and it ran cool the whole time with just a small dripping leak from the top elbow bellows.

I ordered a new temp sensor and new bellows. My question is, as the rubber was melting it ran down the exhaust elbow then hardened on there when it cooled down. How can I clean this off (basically hardened rubber on cast iron)? With a razor blade it pops right off, so it's not like it is really stuck on, but I'd like to clean it all off while I have it apart.

Ayuh,... Pry 'em off with a Hose Pick, 'n most of it will come off with the hose,...

A green scrubby will get the rest,...

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks fellas I'll try both. I pulled the hoses off already, and whatever didn't disintegrate on touch did come off with the hose. I wonder if any specific solvent would help get that hardened stuff off?