Why is volvo oil so expensive, and is it worth it?!

loco

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all,
I installed a new repower 4.3L V6 in my boat. It's come to the 10 hours of running in and it's time for that first oil change. I went to my local Volvo dealership to pick up a new filter and 5 litres (5.2 US quarts) of 15W50 Synthetic oil, only to be told that it costs ?120 ($186)!

That's crazy money.

So, I've had a look about on-line and have found this 'synthetic-based' (would this be semi-synth?) oil for ?27 for the same volume of oil: Motul Inboard 4T 15w-50

My question is - why the difference, and is it worth it? I mean, I could do three or four changes of oil with the cheaper stuff and still be better off. That to me sounds like a better idea, but if the Volvo oil is genuinely better and is going to do my new engine some good, then perhaps it's worth the expense.

Jammer864

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Why is volvo oil so expensive, and is it worth it?!

use whatever rating oil is called for....if the Volvo is GL4, any GL4 rated oil will work. Now, some oils might have additives in them to prevent corrosion, wasps nests, or scabies that others wont but as far as quality of oil, a GL4 is a GL4.

carey965

Petty Officer 2nd Class

a friend of mine swears by royal purple in his 4.3 merc (i am assuming same motor different outdrive) and that doesnt even cost that much, i think for a 12l case i paid 90 bucks for it the last time i bought the stuff

volvo stuff sounds like snake oil, just buy a quality oil and you should be good

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Both of you guys are talking about DIFFERENT oil. The OP is asking about ENGINE oil and the second poster is suggesting gear lubricant.

There is NO marine specification for gear lubricant. If you want to use a "Marine" engine oil, look at the following:

NMMA Certification - FC-W

http://www.nmma.org/assets/cabinets... Registered Four-stroke-cycle Marine Oils.pdf

If you do not want to use the oil recommended by Volvo (either their own branded oil or equivalent) you have a multitude of choices as long as they meet volvo's recommendations.

Do a search here and you'll find HUNDREDS of threads/messages indicating peoples personal choices and testimonials.

Unless you have an engine with catalytic convertors, you can use pretty much any oil within reason and not be able to tell the difference.

Ultimately, the oil you use will be whatever makes you "feel good".

Sometimes a few "pints" (Guinness or equiv) will mask the feeling....or make it better!.....

Jammer864

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You are right. I was thinking gear oil. I really should of known.

Both of you guys are talking about DIFFERENT oil. The OP is asking about ENGINE oil and the second poster is suggesting gear lubricant.

There is NO marine specification for gear lubricant. If you want to use a "Marine" engine oil, look at the following:

NMMA Certification - FC-W

http://www.nmma.org/assets/cabinets... Registered Four-stroke-cycle Marine Oils.pdf

If you do not want to use the oil recommended by Volvo (either their own branded oil or equivalent) you have a multitude of choices as long as they meet volvo's recommendations.

Do a search here and you'll find HUNDREDS of threads/messages indicating peoples personal choices and testimonials.

Unless you have an engine with catalytic convertors, you can use pretty much any oil within reason and not be able to tell the difference.

Ultimately, the oil you use will be whatever makes you "feel good".

Sometimes a few "pints" (Guinness or equiv) will mask the feeling....or make it better!.....