Mercruiser I/O steering

Merrymen50

Recruit
Just bought our first I/O Merc (220 hp) in a 2013 Larson XL 195. I'm used to O/B, not this. At slow speed, tracking straight without constantly adjusting the steering wheel between 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock is nearly impossible. The dealer tells me that this is normal for an I/O.., even after having their tech run the boat on our lake.

Can anyone chime in on this? Is this normal? Thanks.

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Mercruiser I/O steering

As stated, it is normal. Meant to get out of the "no wake zone" then haul mail...

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Just bought our first I/O Merc (220 hp) in a 2013 Larson XL 195. I'm used to O/B, not this. At slow speed, tracking straight without constantly adjusting the steering wheel between 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock is nearly impossible. The dealer tells me that this is normal for an I/O.., even after having their tech run the boat on our lake.

Howdy,

Welcome Aboard!

Yeah. It's more related to deep "V" hulls, and dead rise than what's pushing the boat. My previous outboard boat did it too.

As you increase your speed, the keel becomes more effective

airshot

Rear Admiral

My Islander does the same thing, we have a long slow channel on one of the launches we go out of so one day in very calm conditions I played with the steering very carefully by correcting only half way each time until I found that sweet spot. Guess what....the bow kept slowly moving from side to side, only going so far in each direction then comming back in the other direction without touching the wheel.
So yep it is normal, just add some wind and current and it gets a whole lot worse until you get some speed up.

Airshot

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... Ya, it's pretty normal,.... It's V-hull wander,....

less operator input, 'n/ or increasin' yer speed is the cure...

bhardy5005

Cadet

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... Ya, it's pretty normal,.... It's V-hull wander,....

less operator input, 'n/ or increasin' yer speed is the cure...

I am having the same issue but I have a Hurricane fundeck with a 5.0 Mercruiser which is a semi-v hull. Trying to put this beast on a trailer is a chore. At idle speed it is back and forth but bump the throttle and it evens out and steers great. I am thinking that there may be another issue with the power steering pump. I have owned this boat for 6 years and have had the carburetor rebuilt twice because of a fine black powder that originates around the power steering pump. When the powder is smeared with my finger, it seems to be greasy. The belt and pulleys are tight and show no sign of wear. I have also taken it in to get looked at with no luck. Recently I began to hear a small ticking sound from the pump side of the motor when I turn right, but nothing when I turn left. I bought a marine filter which blocks the particles from the carb but I still have the powder issue. Can anything in the pump go bad that could cause drifting (and powder) at slow speeds??

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Bhardy you might want to start a new thread in the Mercruiser I/O area with your question instead of hijacking someone else's thread. You'll have a wider audience and get more responses.

Edit: I saw you made another thread here for yourself.

Last edited: