Another Drive Shower question

steves86ta

Seaman
Hi Guys,

Ive been searching for a while and i can not find the answer i need. I am building a new engine for my 21' bahner. The expected horsepower is going to be close to 375-400. Which im pretty sure is well well above the rating of my stock pre-alpha drive. I dont have the extra money to buy a new drive so im going to baby this one throughout this season and look into buying something stronger with my tax return this upcoming year.

Knowing that i will be pushing this drive towards its limits (or even over) i will not be doing any hard holeshots, or any super high RPM running. I plan to prop it to run about 5K maybe 5200.

However i do tend to run her at the upper end of the RPM scale (4K plus) quite often and for Long distances. (30+ miles at a time). So i would really like to put a drive shower on this thing to help keep temps down.

The problem is, that i cannot find a driveshower labeled for a pre-alpha mc-1 or mr-1 drive. Does anyone else know where i can get one? Worse comes to worse ill build one.

Thank you for your time
Steve

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Another Drive Shower question

I use a Simrek on my B3 and their site does mention all alphas but nothing before that.

You called or emailed them and asked the question and they say it won't fit?

Mark

steves86ta

Seaman

I use a Simrek on my B3 and their site does mention all alphas but nothing before that.

You called or emailed them and asked the question and they say it won't fit?

Mark

Hi Mark,

I have not emailed them, i will try that. It is just not listed for pre alpha

thanks
Steve

Bondo

Staff member

Hi Mark,

I have not emailed them, i will try that. It is just not listed for pre alpha

thanks
Steve

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... There's nothin' listed, 'cause there ain't no such thing as a "pre alpha".....

There were quite a few drives before the Alpha 1, 'n not any of 'em were named Pre-Alpha....

Odds are, a drive shower For an Alpha 1 would be easily adaptable to the MR, the R, 'n probably the MC-1s... ;)

Btw,.... You'd better start savin' yer pennies, yer gonna need a new drive, probably soon, at that hp,'n sustained hard runnin'....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

A drive shower is nothing more than a piece of stainless tune a few welded tabs, and a bunch of small holes. You could make one, or modify an alpha unit

steves86ta

Seaman

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... There's nothin' listed, 'cause there ain't no such thing as a "pre alpha".....

There were quite a few drives before the Alpha 1, 'n not any of 'em were named Pre-Alpha....

Odds are, a drive shower For an Alpha 1 would be easily adaptable to the MR, the R, 'n probably the MC-1s... ;)

Btw,.... You'd better start savin' yer pennies, yer gonna need a new drive, probably soon, at that hp,'n sustained hard runnin'....

Hi Bond-o

Yeah i believe my drive is an mc-1. There jsut doesnt seem to be much info on them.

I know ill be pushing the drive pretty hard this summer and if it dies ill just have to buy a new one. But ill still try to hold off til tax time. Im kind of interessted to see how long this thing will last, when i have ordered the new drive ill start seeing what abuse i can put it through.

thanks
steve

steves86ta

Seaman

A drive shower is nothing more than a piece of stainless tune a few welded tabs, and a bunch of small holes. You could make one, or modify an alpha unit

yeah it looks like it will not be difficult to modify an alpha unit. Ill give that a shot

thanks again
Steve

Bondo

Staff member

Hi Bond-o

Yeah i believe my drive is an mc-1. There jsut doesnt seem to be much info on them.

I know ill be pushing the drive pretty hard this summer and if it dies ill just have to buy a new one. But ill still try to hold off til tax time. Im kind of interessted to see how long this thing will last, when i have ordered the new drive ill start seeing what abuse i can put it through.

thanks
steve

Ayuh,.... The SEIs are the way to go...

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yeah that's the plan. Or hunt for a used bravo one

You'll be huntin' for a lot more parts than just the drive trying to go from an MC1 to a Bravo....do a little searching here for other guys who thought about doing that.

Mark