Volvo Penta Synthetic GL-5 75W/90 gear oil

Imspuds

Cadet
VP's branded synthetic 75W/90 gear oil is getting hard to find in my town and very expensive as well. I have looked, read, and researched an alternative brand with the same specification but I have not gotten that warm and fuzzy feeling about which brand to use and what if any problems I may encounter in changing over. I have been told Mobil Delvac Synthetic, Valvoline HD Synthetic and Amsoil Synthetic oils are all good replacements and literally half the cost. Can anyone provide me with some feedback on the subject? Running a VP D4 with DPH-A out drive.

Best regards,
Tony

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Penta Synthetic GL-5 75W/90 gear oil

Synthetic GL-5 Synthetic 75W/90. is a gear lube spec. not a marine spec. Look at the container, if they say synthetic GL5 then it's the same thing. You don't want anything with a limited slip additive however, unless you want the drive shift cone to slip.

Imspuds

Cadet

Synthetic GL-5 Synthetic 75W/90. is a gear lube spec. not a marine spec. Look at the container, if they say synthetic GL5 then it's the same thing. You don't want anything with a limited slip additive however, unless you want the drive shift cone to slip.

Don,
Thank you for the reply, it is appreciated.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Mobil 1 GL-5 75w/90 is what I use because it is super easy to find.

Imspuds

Cadet

Mobil 1 GL-5 75w/90 is what I use because it is super easy to find.

Bruce,
What are you using it in and how long? Are you using the LS version of Mobil 1?

Regards,
Tony

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have been using the Mobil 1 SHC SAE 75W-90 in my DP-SM drive for 10 years without problems. It is not the LS version though.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I have been using the Mobil 1 SHC SAE 75W-90 in my DP-SM drive for 10 years without problems. It is not the LS version though.
Probably not marketed in the US. It shows up on the Europe Mobil site but not the US.

doyall

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yikes...that stuff is expensive!

Depends on where you buy it. On the intertube you should be able to find a gallon in the mid $40 range plus shipping. Sometimes a store might offer free shipping. Just have to plan in advance. Late last year I got 2 gallons (should last me about 4 years) with free shipping for apx. $95. About the same per quart as any easy to find quality synthetic gear lube, but way less than VP branded stuff. I saw an advertisement from a regional truck stop around the same time for a gallon in the high $30 range. Great deal. Too bad I wasn't in Kansas, or wherever it was.

Imspuds

Cadet

doyall,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I was told the same thing and it is much less than VP branded oil. I have tried to find Data sheet on VP 75W/90 but no luck. Even between all the GL5 rated oils Valvoline HD, Mobil Delvac and Amsoil all have different specs, thus making it hard to decide which is the best replacement for VP. Out of all mentioned the Valvoline Heavy Duty Gear Oil has the best specs, all higher than the other two mentioned but 5 gallon is the smallest consumer size that is available at $230.00 breaking down to $11.50 qt. But again, they are all Synthetic, GL5, and 75W/90, so who knows which is best.

Regards,
Tony Panelli

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I need to go back and look at what I used. Actually, I don't think its the LS.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Bruce did you get a chance to go look and see if you used the LS version or not?

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I went ahead and ordered some Amsoil Synthetic Universal Marine Gear Lube. I figure $40 is worth the peace of mind and knowing I won't cause drive damage because I assumed "it will be ok."

In boating when you start to realize that spending a little extra time and money now to prevent something bad from happening later...does that mean you finally are on the learning curve? I think a certain Moderator might have an opinion on this.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Bruce did you get a chance to go look and see if you used the LS version or not?
So...the bottle I have does not have LS on it. I bought these bottles over a year ago. I went back to the store where I bought these and all they have is the bottle labeled with LS on the shelves. What is interesting is that there were a few other brands including Valvoline that listed "limited Slip" compatible on them. Not sure if the Mobil-1 that they have in these bottles is the same fluid that I bought or not but I will not be buying the Mobil-1 that has LS on it just to be safe.

I went ahead and ordered some Amsoil Synthetic Universal Marine Gear Lube. I figure $40 is worth the peace of mind and knowing I won't cause drive damage because I assumed "it will be ok."
I agree with you on this.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

So...the bottle I have does not have LS on it. I bought these bottles over a year ago. I went back to the store where I bought these and all they have is the bottle labeled with LS on the shelves. What is interesting is that there were a few other brands including Valvoline that listed "limited Slip" compatible on them. Not sure if the Mobil-1 that they have in these bottles is the same fluid that I bought or not but I will not be buying the Mobil-1 that has LS on it just to be safe.

I agree with you on this.

(sc)Amzoil and Mercury (HP) are the only "manufacturers" that mention anything about gear/stern-drive oil performance with water contamination. Am$oil actually indicates an ASTM standard test result with 10% water contamination.

"Truth be known"...... I would willing to bet that even though no other manufacturer indicates that their oil meets an ASTM (lubrication) standard after being contaminated with water, they probably would if someone bothered to test them.

Also note that NO gear oil manufactured meets a "Marine" (NMMA) standard for gear oil, because none exists. (and probably isn't necessary anyway)

"Limited Slip" additives may not be a problem either. (axle type) Limited slip (multi-disc) clutches are made using composite materials. The additives are there to decrease "chattering" ....They may have no effect at all on a metal cone-type clutch.

Having said that, you probably wouldn't intentionally use it in a stern drive, but I cannot find anything in the actual Mobil Product Description anything about NOT using it in NON-LS applications. It only said it meets or exceeds manufacturer requirements for GL-5.

Of course, there's never a shortage of people claiming they use xxxx oil and have "never had a problem"..............

ymmv......