volvo 280 conversion to bravo 2

dreamchaser

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello all, I have a 20ft hard top hourston glasscraft which is getting new stringers and floor installed , motor is out its shot was a volvo 305 upgrading to a rebuilt 350 ..i have a chance to purchase a bravo 2 with all transom parts incld . besides redoing the transom for merc transom hole is the bravo2 stern drive the right application for my boat ? its a pleasure, fishing, water sports cuddy cabin. thanks luv this site ..... the bravo 2 was mated to a 454 and was in a 26ft commercial fishing boat

Bondo

Staff member
Re: volvo 280 conversion to bravo 2

Ayuh,.... The Bravo II is a Big propped drive for Big boats,...

But,....
If ya go this way, Sell the BII lower unit, 'n bolt on a BI, or BIII lower unit, 'n yer Good to Go....

GasCan II

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just wondering, why sell the Bravo II lower unit and replace it with BI or BIII ?
Thanks

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Just wondering, why sell the Bravo II lower unit and replace it with BI or BIII ?
Thanks

I would vote for the Bravo III.

I removed a 460 King Cobra and installed a similar HP Bravo III in my 21ft FourWinns Liberator.

The performance improvement was nothing short of spectacular. The only thing I would trade it for is either another BIII or a Volvo DUO Prop!

Cheers,

Rick
bravoIIIa.gif

dreamchaser

Petty Officer 1st Class

thks bond-o and Don S . Will a alpha gen 2 provide better performance overall i guess the gearing would be diff or the same as the 280 leg? does this b2 weight a ton ? what would be the diff btw running a b1 verses b2 ? i guess in layman terms i need the simple reasons not to .....Leo

TilliamWe

Banned

Well changing from VP to Mercruiser means you are going to have to change everything anyway. Alpha stuff is less expensive, usually, than Bravo stuff. According to the now defunct Trailer Boats magazine a 350MAG MPI with a Bravo 1 weighs just 41lbs more than a 350MAG MPI with an Alpha One. (987 v 946) Bravo 3 weighs 67lbs more than the Alpha One. (1013 v 946) With just a 20' boat, a Bravo 2 is completely unecessary for you. Bravo 1 would be great, Bravo 3 would be a nice luxury. (But more expensive)
The biggest $$$$ difference between a B2 and a B1 is that B2 props are rarer and even aluminum ones are $600 new. Of course brand new B3 propsets are over $1200, but they are available used on EBay for $600 all day, and since they don't have rubber hubs, "nothing" really goes wrong with them, except bent blades.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

since they don't have rubber hubs, "nothing" really goes wrong with them, except bent blades.
Unless you hit something REALLY hard!:facepalm:

Then it's not very pretty......

TilliamWe

Banned

Unless you hit something REALLY hard!:facepalm:

Then it's not very pretty......

Oh, you'd be surprised. I once inspected a B3 that ran through rocks, bent the blades BAD, broke off the skeg, and even ground a hole in the leading edge of the "bullet". My dad had the props straightened, and the hole welded up, and used it for the next 5 years and 500 hours with NO issues.

dreamchaser

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thks everyone for the info, Ripped down transom yesterday thought it was sound but not so .. starting from scratch now, now have options and looking for either a volvo sx or a b1 or alpha genn 2

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Thks everyone for the info, Ripped down transom yesterday thought it was sound but not so .. starting from scratch now, now have options and looking for either a volvo sx or a b1 or alpha genn 2

I am not very VP conversant but I think there might be a DUO-PROP model that could be adapted to either your drive and/or transom.

Just another consideration....

Maclin

Admiral

There are 280DP, 290DP and DP-A/b/c that fit the transom hole, maybe just some minor trimming for later DP-A. Finding a 290DP whole unit would be interesting as they were behind the 305 and 350 GM engines a LOT, plenty of parts. And any of those drives can take "extra" horsepower. So any "white" (non-SX) Volvo drive from 1992 and earlier would be good options to stay compatible with what is in there now in my opinion, rather than switching out brands.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There are 280DP, 290DP and DP-A/b/c that fit the transom hole,

The 280 cutout is different than the 290 to DP-C cutout by more than some minor trimming, but at least it's not rebuilding the transom and starting over.

Cutout comparison.jpg

Maclin

Admiral

Thanks Don, I knew it was more on the minor side than filling in a big hole trying to make a smaller hole :)

dreamchaser

Petty Officer 1st Class

restoration boat pics march 2013 097.jpg Transom is ripped down now , not sure which way to go,the volvo xs would be nice but new hole req , same as the merc. many many questions running thru my head ie; would like to isolate rear floor of boat from midway under seat cabinets for 1, and also front cuddy acc washdown water runs forward while boat is still . would like inner style liner but thats way beyond my budget. any ideas ?I will get boat floor and stringers installed for starters , meanwhile looking for diff rear aft plans thks all. Leo

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

We can help you with your choice of drives, and what it's going to take as far as cutout size etc. BUT, for your hull repair, you need to post that over in the Restoration/Hull Repair forum.

That's what that forum is all about, this forum is for engine and drive questions.

dreamchaser

Petty Officer 1st Class

We can help you with your choice of drives, and what it's going to take as far as cutout size etc. BUT, for your hull repair, you need to post that over in the Restoration/Hull Repair forum.

That's what that forum is all about, this forum is for engine and drive questions.

Will do Don , appreciate all ur help thks Leo

Bondo

Staff member

still have the bravo 2 avail to me , so now the question is "can i use a bravo 2 transom assembly with a bravo 1 ? thks Leo

Ayuh,..... Seein's the Differences 'tween the 2 is just the lower units,... Yes, go for it....