Hot Water Heater

Lucky Penny

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am upgrading my livability factor and have installed a hot water heater. It runs great on shore power, but now I want to hook it up to the engine and have hot water underway. I have searched but can not find any reference on where to tap into my cooling system. There are several "plugs" on the water pump and on the T-State housing. I am being very causious because I do not want to tap it where I will cause problems with the cooling system.

This is a duel heat source system: Heat exchanger from the engine cooling system and heat coil off of shore power.

The engine:

1977 Chevy 350 (5.7) raw water cooled

Thanks in advance

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Hot Water Heater

Pressure to the heater comes from the intake manifold. I always used a tee where the temp sender is.
Return goes into the circulation pump, just above the large hose.

tpenfield

Staff member

I am upgrading my livability factor and have installed a hot water heater.

Thanks in advance

Hot water does not need to be heated . . . you probably mean a cold water heater. . . :D

I got one of those things in my boat . . . One of the hoses connects to the engine block where there is normally a drain plug. (So that must be the return ???). I have not quite figured out where the other hose connects.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Normally, the hot water tap is at the top of the intake manifold, just aft of the T-stat housin', or as Don said, "T'ed" off the T-stat housing, from Under the T-stat...
The hottest water available is at the intake, on the motor side of the T-stat...

The return flow usually goes into a fitting on the circulating water pump.(which is a lower pressure area)...

Lucky Penny

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ayuh,.... Normally, the hot water tap is at the top of the intake manifold, just aft of the T-stat housin', or as Don said, "T'ed" off the T-stat housing, from Under the T-stat...
The hottest water available is at the intake, on the motor side of the T-stat...

The return flow usually goes into a fitting on the circulating water pump.(which is a lower pressure area)...

The only fitting I can find on the intake manifold is occupied by the Temp sending unit. there is a tap on the port side of the T-Stat housing below the T-Stat. would that one work, and would that effect the cooling of the engine or operation of the T-Stat?

Bondo

Staff member

The only fitting I can find on the intake manifold is occupied by the Temp sending unit. there is a tap on the port side of the T-Stat housing below the T-Stat. would that one work, and would that effect the cooling of the engine or operation of the T-Stat?

Ayuh,.... Generally speakin', what I've seen is the sendin' unit is in the hole you have available, 'n where it is now was a pipe plug...
hence the t-stat gasket with the brass rivet in it...

I guess it'll work either way,...
They're both on the hot/ pressure side of the t-stat...

No, it doesn't really effect the rest of the system, other than bleedin' off extra heat, much like the heater in yer car...