Need a Mercruiser Manual.....

DAKunes

Recruit
Hello all .....new to the forum. Moving my 2005 Cruisers 340 Express from Pittsburgh, PA to Naples, FL. (Fresh to Saltwater) I have decided to become a more experienced DIY'r. To that end, I am trying to find a good maintenance manual for my vessel. I have the Mercruisers 8.1 Horizon Engines. Any ideas where I could find a (reasonably easy to understand) manual for my engines? My serial #'s OWO90072 and OWO90074. Any help is greatly appreciated.

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Need a Mercruiser Manual.....

The "Stickies" (i.e. Adults Only section) of the Mercruiser forum is a good place to start. "Item #10 - Mercruiser Information" will lead you to some online manuals.

You can also Google your way to success and find some hard copy manuals that you can purchase, etc.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Hello all .....new to the forum. Moving my 2005 Cruisers 340 Express from Pittsburgh, PA to Naples, FL. (Fresh to Saltwater) I have decided to become a more experienced DIY'r. To that end, I am trying to find a good maintenance manual for my vessel. I have the Mercruisers 8.1 Horizon Engines. Any ideas where I could find a (reasonably easy to understand) manual for my engines? My serial #'s OWO90072 and OWO90074. Any help is greatly appreciated.

You'll find that the vast majority of service manuals (particularly the better ones) are designed and written to be used by factory trained technicians. Any of the DIY manuals are just too vague and try to cover too many models to be of any real benefit.

Here's a link to the factory manuals for your engines.

General engine manual -> https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1TAvwZ3TjhfUTJRNzN4LXQ4Um8
MPI Diagnostics manual -> https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1TAvwZ3Tjhfd2lIOGo3SVJIZTQ

If you are serious about doing your own work I would recommend you get the diagnostic software too. I have the PC/laptop based system and find it works really nicely. I haven't used a scan-tool, but personally I prefer the laptop. It's not cheap, at $700, but you only have to solve one problem and it's paid for itself. The only place selling it is www.rinda.com

Chris........

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you are serious about doing your own work I would recommend you get the diagnostic software too. I have the PC/laptop based system and find it works really nicely. I haven't used a scan-tool, but personally I prefer the laptop. It's not cheap, at $700, but you only have to solve one problem and it's paid for itself. The only place selling it is www.rinda.com
Chris........

OP:
As I was not in need of the best scan tool (plus I did not have a laptop at the time) since I was only going to be using it on my boats or loaning to other local DIYs, I cheaped out and only bought the handheld $400 scan tool that Chris shows in his link along with 1 extra adapter needed for both my boats.
Came in handy when I had to troubleshoot a "beep every 2 minute" problem along with verifying the correct engine hours and rpm, temp, etc. to make sure they match what the gauges on the dash was showing.

Mark

achris

More fish than mountain goat

...I did not have a laptop at the time...

Should have let me know. I have several in a cupboard gathering dust. You would have been quite welcome to one.... They would be perfect for using with engine diagnostics....

Chris......