1985 MerCruiser 190 Charging System

diveman05

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Good afternoon everyone, really simple question i thought but online isn't helping much...

Looking at getting a late season deal on a boat with a 1985 mercruiser 190 in it. Was doing some research on the engine and this would be a cabin boat so we're going to need some electricity so i started to look into the alternator and found it was base equip with a stator. Finding the output has been a little tricky, i found 1 site that said 40amps, does anyone know if this is correct? Also any idea what RPM's have to be running to achieve a good charge... This is of course assuming it doesn't have the alternator conversion kit.

Also anybody have any personal experience with these motors? Good or bad, i've always liked my mercurisers over Volvo Penta personally just for ease of parts and mechanics...

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1985 MerCruiser 190 Charging System

Good afternoon everyone, really simple question i thought but online isn't helping much...

Looking at getting a late season deal on a boat with a 1985 mercruiser 190 in it. Was doing some research on the engine and this would be a cabin boat so we're going to need some electricity so i started to look into the alternator and found it was base equip with a stator. Finding the output has been a little tricky, i found 1 site that said 40amps, does anyone know if this is correct? Also any idea what RPM's have to be running to achieve a good charge... This is of course assuming it doesn't have the alternator conversion kit.

Also anybody have any personal experience with these motors? Good or bad, i've always liked my mercurisers over Volvo Penta personally just for ease of parts and mechanics...

Ayuh,.... The 470 series of motors is Mercruiser's red-headed bastard step-child, they're tryin' hard to forget,...

What's now a common part number for 'em is # NLA....

You really, Really don't wanta buy that boat bud,.... Run Away from it....

diveman05

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1985 MerCruiser 190 Charging System

Ayuh,.... The 470 series of motors is Mercruiser's red-headed bastard step-child, they're tryin' hard to forget,...

What's now a common part number for 'em is # NLA....

You really, Really don't wanta buy that boat bud,.... Run Away from it....

after just 5 minutes of reading on iboats i already knew that after posting this ;) Thank you for the advice :)