Any benefit of Full Synthetic or Conventional/Synthetic Blend Oils?

LegacyT

Petty Officer 1st Class
Any benefit in my 1989 motor/drive with 200hrs? Or should I just stick to regular "dinosaur" oils?

Thalasso

Commander
Re: Any benefit of Full Synthetic or Conventional/Synthetic Blend Oils?

Any benefit in my 1989 motor/drive with 200hrs? Or should I just stick to regular "dinosaur" oils?

Stick to regular "dinosaur" oils if that's what the Manf. says to use. Sometimes when you switch you might get oil leaks because the gaskets are not made for this ( synthetic )

LegacyT

Petty Officer 1st Class

No specification other than 10W30 in the engine and drive...

synthetics are a better oil but that can be a problem on any item thats not in constant use. water will not blend with synthetic oil thus it can be drained from the bottom of the oil. the problem is the cleaners added to the oil realy do work and this can leave the metal with no protection over a period of time (6 months plus). with no protection the parts can start to rust. years ago fully synthetics came with a warning not to be used in aircraft engines due to this problem. (they might have re-blended the oil to fix this problem now).

Oshkosh1

Ensign

with no protection the parts can start to rust. years ago fully synthetics came with a warning not to be used in aircraft engines due to this problem. (they might have re-blended the oil to fix this problem now).

The Mobil AV-1 debacle of the early-mid 90's comes to mind...The problem there was that solid particulates were not suspended and ended up forming sludge, whereas dino will "trap" them and allow the filter to do it's job.

I see no benefit from synthetic if it's changed on such a regular basis.

Regardless of lubricant...

Keep it clean/changed yearly or 200hrs(whatever comes first), use a quality filter, if there's a moisture problem...fix it...and carry on smartly!

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... The Merc Hi-performance lower unit oil is Syn-oil, with a pretty colored dye in it,...

I use Mobil 1, in 75W-90...

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Stick to regular "dinosaur" oils if that's what the Manf. says to use. Sometimes when you switch you might get oil leaks because the gaskets are not made for this ( synthetic )

False: If an engine consumes oil it MAY consume more synthetic oil. If an engine leaks oil, it MAY leak more synthetic. Synthetic oil will NOT cause seal damage.

Oshkosh1

Ensign

False: If an engine consumes oil it MAY consume more synthetic oil. If an engine leaks oil, it MAY leak more synthetic. Synthetic oil will NOT cause seal damage.

X2!!
Absolutely!!!
It amazes me how many times I've heard that old wives tale...

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

The problem there was that solid particulates were not suspended and ended up forming sludge, whereas dino will "trap" them and allow the filter to do it's job.

More specifically, the solid particulates were LEAD combustion products that are supposed to be kept in suspension by the (ashless) dispersant additive in AV oil. (Much like the soot dispersants in diesel engine oils of today)

Mobil's AV-1 dispersant failed to do it. Aircraft engines that were operated on MOGAS (Autogas STC) didn't have any problem with AV-1 at all and very few engines that operated on 80 octane had problems (MUCH less lead) . Mobil's syn AD additive actually did the opposite and caused lead "sludging"....They paid dearly for it. There was a huge class action suit.

Automotive synthetic engine (and gear) oils of today are FAR superior. It's just the benefits of using it in a marine engine are not realized because marine engines don't get extended drain intervals. None of the manufacturers allow an extended drain interval when using synthetics In a gear box, synthetics actually produce less heat and gears take less power to operate. (which is why the OEMS deliver gear boxes and transmissions with syn-oil nowadays.....it raises their CAFE ratings)

Synthetic oil will leak through a given size hole a little faster than a non-syn when it's cold because synthetic oils flow better when cold. Get both of them hot and they'll flow through the same hole at about the same rate.....