Use 4-stroke outboard oil for an I?O sterndrive?

baitbag62

Recruit
Made a mistake picking up my last jug of Mercury motor oil and didn't notice 'till a while ago. I have an I/O (3.0L Alpha) and I grabbed a large bottle of Merc 4-stroke outboard oil instead of the sterndrive stuff. It's been 2 months since I bought it >$30, and the boat store is 50 miles away. Plus, I've no clue about a receipt - not a chance that I can find it!

Any harm in using this in the Alpha? What's the difference between the two different flavors?

Failproof

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Use 4-stroke outboard oil for an I?O sterndrive?

One is a gear oil, and one is an engine oil. Will it work? Maybe for a little bit. Would i do it or recommend it? Well its been said here that any oil is better than no oil. But no, dont do it

thumpar

Admiral

Even if it might work do you really want to risk your outdrive for $30 in oil?

Brewman61

Ensign

Not sure we're following the OP here. He said that he bought a 4 quart container of Mercury Brand Outboard oil, when he intended to purchase motor oil for his 3.0L Merc engine. I don't think he's contemplating putting motor oil into his outdrive.

If I am correct, I do not know what the difference between 4 stroke OB oil vs the Mercury oil for your 3.0L Engine.
I wouldn't tell you it's okay to put that OB oil in your engine because I don't know if it would work nor will I make an uneducated guess.

In no circumstances would you put anything in your outdrive except the correct outdrive lube, but I don't think that's what you were going to do.

Just to be honest, I've made the same mistake, grabbing the wrong bottle, but I caught it before I left the store.
And I'd have ran it back had I actually taken it home, but then again I only live 10 miles away from my Mercury dealer.

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I dont think he put it in his outdrive. If this is the case you should be fine.

Brewman61

Ensign

Not sure he's actually used the oil, sounds to me more like he's asking if it's ok or not.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have an I/O (3.0L Alpha) and I grabbed a large bottle of Merc 4-stroke outboard oil instead of the sterndrive stuff.

Any harm in using this in the Alpha?

DO NOT use engine oil in the sterndrive,
take it back and get Hi Performance gear lube. Two completely different types of oil.

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

Made a mistake picking up my last jug of Mercury motor oil and didn't notice 'till a while ago. I have an I/O (3.0L Alpha) and I grabbed a large bottle of Merc 4-stroke outboard oil instead of the sterndrive stuff. It's been 2 months since I bought it >$30, and the boat store is 50 miles away. Plus, I've no clue about a receipt - not a chance that I can find it!

Any harm in using this in the Alpha? What's the difference between the two different flavors?

Not sure we're following the OP here. He said that he bought a 4 quart container of Mercury Brand Outboard oil, when he intended to purchase motor oil for his 3.0L Merc engine. I don't think he's contemplating putting motor oil into his outdrive.

This tells me he is asking if it is ok to use in the sterndrive.....

NO WAY!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Um....here's what he said:
Made a mistake picking up my last jug of Mercury motor oil and didn't notice 'till a while ago. I have an I/O (3.0L Alpha) and I grabbed a large bottle of Merc 4-stroke outboard oil instead of the sterndrive stuff.

If you put Mercury Outboard engine oil in your 3.0L engine, forget about it and go boating.

If you put Mercury Outboard engine oil in your Alpha STERNDRIVE, drain it now and refill it with the correct stuff.

kawakx125

Seaman

its not real clear what he is asking about, whether the outboard oil is ok for the actual engine or if its ok to use in the drive. unsure about engine, definitely not in drive.

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

It is extremely obvious what he "wrote". Until he weighs in again, we don't know exactly what he "meant"....but I think from all the responses, the message of what is right and wrong is clear.:cool:

baitbag62

Recruit

It is extremely obvious what he "wrote". Until he weighs in again, we don't know exactly what he "meant"....but I think from all the responses, the message of what is right and wrong is clear.:cool:

Guys,

To clarify, I do know the difference between motor oil versus gear lube oil for the sterndrive.
I'm strictly talking engine/motor oil.

I picked up a new filter and a 5-quart jug of the "wrong" 4-stroke outboard oil with intention of doing a typical oil change.
Mercury does have a specific similar jug of ENGINE oil for sterndrives.

I'm just trying to determine what might be the difference and if they are close to interchangeable.
If not, I definitely won't use it.

May not do the oil change until I winterize anyway since I only have another month or so before I pull the boat for the season.

Thanks for the responses and advice. This is a great forum.

Brewman61

Ensign

That's what I figured you meant. Yesterday I ran to the Marina to get a quart of Lower Unit Lube and I looked at the motor oil, and saw that they had gallon containers of Mercury 4 stroke Outboard oil, and also Mercury Mercruiser motor oil. Very similar looking containers, and I've grabbed the wrong one at least one before when I was in a hurry. But I caught it at the checkout counter.
No idea what the difference is between the two, though. My gut says thay are closer together than different.