no max h p on capacity plate

alilley

Petty Officer 1st Class
As title says no max h p but has max number of people and weight. Is this normal? It looks like all the other plates I have seen before just no place for h p rating....... my reason for asking is cuz I am looking to doing a motor change from a 4 cylinder to a v 8 and don't want to get into trouble by over powering, boat is a 1988 Sun Chaser1702 .......... please help or advise

Just realised this is outboard thread, could someone please move it to correct location. Thank you.

86 century

Ensign
Re: no max h p on capacity plate

I/O don't normally have a ho rating plate.

Mostly just an outboard thing.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

You do realize the size of that job? You will have to rebuild the stringers and motor mounts, replace all of the wiring, the motor and the outdrive. You are talking about a huge project.

Once your hull is opened up with surgical skills you are going to need to investigate for strong dry stringers and the overall condition of the transom by drilling bore holes.

So I take it that you have a complete donor boat?

Good luck.

alilley

Petty Officer 1st Class

I do realise the projectthat I am looking at....... can we please just stay with the question at game here.....

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

When a manufacturer designs an I/O boat he ensures that it will be safe to operate. An OB is a little tricky because its real easy for the consumer to assemble an unsafe rig.

If a boat comes with a 4 cyl, at best a V6 might be an option. Likewise, a std V6 might offer a V8 upgrade. I don't ever remember seeing a 4 and 8 option on the same boat. The reason being that if it could handle a V8 nobody would be satisfied with a 4, or if a 4 was adequate an 8 would be overkill, providing liability issues for the manufacturer.

That little Sunchaser would likely be over powered.

alilley

Petty Officer 1st Class

Once again lets forget about what I am doing here, my question is in regards to these not being a horse power limit on my capacity plate....... is this common on i o??

Brewman61

Ensign

While out on patrol, I stop many I/O's and I don't recall them not having HP listed on their capacity plates, though I never check HP, mostly passenger capacity.
My own boat, 2003 Crownline 18.0 Bowrider is an I/O and my capacity plate lists max passengers as 8, max weight of people and beer coolers at 1150 pounds, and maximum HP at 225.

As to other comments on this thread, this boat was offered with several power options by Merc and VP. Base 4 clyinder and optional 4.3L V6. No V8 power offered.

My first attempt to post an answer here didn't appear, so this is a repost, hopefully my original doesn't appear out of nowhere, if so sorry for the dup.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Once again lets forget about what I am doing here, my question is in regards to these not being a horse power limit on my capacity plate....... is this common on i o??

Then look it up in the USCG regulations and eliminate the middle people. People have answered your question.

Google this "U.S. Coast Guard Federal Boat Safety Act of 1971"

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

OK, I'll be more succinct...

You had 2 questions......is it common and would you get into trouble by overpowering.

1. Yes its common for I/Os to not have HP listed. Since the engine is already installed the engine HP is not a consumer option. (at least the 2 I/Os in my garage are that way - one is old and one new)
2. Yes it would be overpowered - whether it gets you into trouble is entirely up to you.

Then look it up in the USCG regulations and eliminate the middle people. People have answered your question.

Google this "U.S. Coast Guard Federal Boat Safety Act of 1971"

And for the benefit of fellow Canadian readers, Canadian regulations only require Max HP on the plate if the boat is (quote) designed to be powered by an outboard motor. So, it's not required on IOs.

Jonnybbad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Neither of my I/O's plates say anything about HP just weight and passengers. If you're up to the work, give 'er hell I say.

emoney

Commander

Even though they seem to have stopped talking about this a couple weeks ago, it makes sense, in my crazy head anyway, that the reason we see "Max HP" stickers on outboard boats is that they are two separate entities; the boat & the motor and can easily be ordered by the dealer individually. On the other hand, I/O boats rarely come from the factory without the motor pre-installed. So, the plate is as much for the set-up dealer as it is for the end/future consumer. Trust me, it makes sense in my head.