2.5 to a 5.7 mercruiser swap 16ft open bow

Speed1v8

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi all I'm new To forum and herd their we're smart people in here. Anyway I have A 16 ft galaxy with mcm 2.5 4 cylinder mated to alpha one outdrive. I want to swap a 350 or smaller v8 in it. I know I have to switch couple things around. Main question is what do I need to Make it happen because I know alpha one comes mated with v8 already. I would apriciate the help thanks

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2.5 to a 5.7 mercruiser swap 16ft open bow

Welcome to Iboats
A 5.7 is a wee bit big for a 16 footer. A 4.3 V6 would be about perfect. Compared to the inline 4, Engine mounts are different, as is the flywheel, Bell housing and drive coupler might or might not fit. Since a V engine has exhausts on both sides a different inner transom housing would be needed. I hope you aren't thinking of grabbing an auto/truck engine and dropping it in. Auto/truck engines use camshafts with different valve timing compared to marine engines. Also you just can't reuse the automotive fuel system or ignition systems in a marine app

As for the Alpha one gearcase. Yes it is used on the 5.7, however the gearing is much different. For example on you 2.5 it might have, I'm just guessing, but it could be something close to 2.19:1, on a 5.7 the gearing would be more like 1.5:1. that is a big difference. Much too large to even try using higher pitch props

Last edited:

Technorunner

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I Took a 4.3 Auto angine and modified it. The bolt pattern are already in the block to use the marine Engine mount. Coupler fits and so does the Bellhousing. So yes you can modify it. You might need to build new fittings for the enginemounts in the boat.

Bondo

Staff member

Hi all I'm new To forum and herd their we're smart people in here. Anyway I have A 16 ft galaxy with mcm 2.5 4 cylinder mated to alpha one outdrive. I want to swap a 350 or smaller v8 in it. I know I have to switch couple things around. Main question is what do I need to Make it happen because I know alpha one comes mated with v8 already. I would apriciate the help thanks

Ayuh,.... What Vintage is it,..??

Basically, pull the drive, then the motor...
Drop in the V8, 'n build out a set of front motor mounts, 'n bolt on the new drive ya need, with the proper gear ratio...

Odds are,... You'll need a Complete, motor, transom, 'n drive package to make it work...

The Best way to find that package is to buy a runnin' Donor boat, 'n scrap it out for it's driveline....

which usually brings up the question of scrappin' the donor, or the original project hull...

jbcurt00

Staff member

I Took a 4.3 Auto angine and modified it. The bolt pattern are already in the block to use the marine Engine mount. Coupler fits and so does the Bellhousing. So yes you can modify it. You might need to build new fittings for the enginemounts in the boat.

Just remember that auto motor drive accessories don't have the required spark arrest features for use in an enclosed space (I/O doghouse) that can have fuel fumes present (the blower does not count as safe & reliable substitute for a marinized auto engine). In particular, auto alternators, auto distributors & auto starters are NOT a good choices.

All of that ^^ info can be found in a search for automotive motor swap....

Spend some time & look around the engine forums & you'll find that there is a lot of info in here. See what other's have tried w/ various levels of success & failure. That way you can make a more informed decision about how you'd like to proceed.

I do agree w/ jimmbo, but would ask what's the weight difference between your straight 4cyl & the proposed 5.7 V8? I'd be willing to bet that beast will cause you to squat low at the stern, and that there would need to be some significant changes to the structure of the hull, engine mounts, transom, and transom connection to the hull bottom, sides & cap to support that V8. All of that will also add weight to the stern area. If you make that large of a jump in hp, torque & speed, the rest of the hull & all the stuff connected to it (seats, seat boxes, consoles & windshield, will need some attention to make sure they are great shape as well.

But that's all just IMHO, and as Bond-o said, yeah it's possible. Just make sure your gas credit card is in good standing, it'll guzzle gas compared to your current motor.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

If its just the motor, drop in a 3.0 to replace the 2.5 and go boating in a few hours.

swapping to a V6 or a V8 in a small boat would be fun for the grin factor when complete, however your looking to swap everything from carb to prop.

can you modify your transom shield, etc. - yes, and you can run thru-transom exhaust. however as others pointed out, you will still need to swap gear ratios.

Speed1v8

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for all the info my friends happy 4 july by the way! ok what about the 4.3 so this motor is more like it to fit and give me that speed i want speed with nice ride. my boat goes 35 with coolers and full tank with 2 people. i like it buck it take a ?????? at the low end but then picks up. i want go atleast 55. So in my 16 ft with that motor since is light how fast would i go. thanks for help

Speed1v8

Petty Officer 3rd Class

the idea of the donor boat is very smart because ill get a boat with all i need. i just need make sure the mechanical part on it is not to bad.