can i swap omc for mercruiser if i have 2 complete boats?

i have 2 complete boats, omc cobra 2.3 went on me, but i do have a 120 mercruiser complete motor and outdrive. i have all controls + steering is needed? can this swap be done. will be putting into a 1988 bayliner capri 17 ft.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: can i swap omc for mercruiser if i have 2 complete boats?

i do have a 120 mercruiser complete motor and outdrive. i have all controls

If you have the complete Mercruiser package - sure, you can swap it over without too much problem.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

When you say 'complete', does that include the inner transom plate and gimbal housing? If so, the swap is easy... Just remove all of the OMC (but not the steering, there are the same), and drop in the Merc...

Chris......

If you have the complete Mercruiser package - sure, you can swap it over without too much problem.

yeah, i have everything, the boat the mercruiser is in is junk but good motor and outdrive, can i use the merc motor mounts or do i need the omc ones?

When you say 'complete', does that include the inner transom plate and gimbal housing? If so, the swap is easy... Just remove all of the OMC (but not the steering, there are the same), and drop in the Merc...

Chris......

yeah, i have everything, the boat the mercruiser is in is junk but good motor and outdrive, can i use the merc motor mounts or do i need the omc ones?

achris

You will need to use the Merc ones...

You will need to use the Merc ones...

thanks for your help chris, i do see how the "rear" mounts will work with no problem. but what im not seeing is how the front mount attaches to the boat? it doesnt seem from looking like there is any thing for the front mount to sit on. do i need to put something in??? how do i attach the front mount to the boat?

achris

The OMC 2.3 is an in-line 4... and mounted at the front. You are going to need to get side mounts built up in the hull to accommodate the V engine mountings.

Chris.......

The OMC 2.3 is an in-line 4... and mounted at the front. You are going to need to get side mounts built up in the hull to accommodate the V engine mountings.

Chris.......

the mercruiser is a inline 4. the bayliner already has side mounts built in it. the mercruiser is what i am wanting to put in the boat. rear mounts do not look like they r going to b a problem since the original mount will be there when i put the inner transom ...ect. in. its the front that is looking confusing to me? do i need to build that area up? for the front mount on the mercruiser??

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Take everything out that is OMC and get rid of it. (Except steering cable)
Now put all the Mercruiser stuff in the boat. (including wiring harnesses, instruments, and throttle shifter controls)
The transom cutout is the same.
You will just have to see on the front mount. It's probably close, because OMC probably had the 3.0L engine in that boat as an option.

SoDakJeep

Cadet

i am in process of pretty much the same swap omc to merc and have run into a problem with the controls. (shift and throttle) I have everything from both boats but still am not sure if the omc can somehow be used with the merc. What have you decided to do?