Mercruiser 470, swap to FI, any info?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCKracker

Petty Officer 1st Class
ok dont think im nuts, i have done a few automotive carb to FI / throttle body swaps over the years, and many that were a simple bolt on stand alone system. i have done alot of searching on the net and found nothing, any info on any available or done?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser 470, swap to FI, any info?

Ayuh,.... Most folks spend their energy just tryin' to keep their 470s Runnin'....

Generally speakin', Nobodies tryin' to Hot Rod 'em, or wastin' money on Efi...

fmalott

Chief Petty Officer

as much as i enjoy my 470 i'll have to agree with Bond-o on this one

KCKracker

Petty Officer 1st Class

yes i know you 2 dont like 470's. but not looking to hot rod mine, just improve its runnability from a not so smooth crappy carb.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

If you if it is rough at low RPM you may have a weak cylinder, pull the wires one at a time to check. I looked into the same fi idea, found nothing.

KCKracker

Petty Officer 1st Class

it has no issues, i just hate carbs.

riskibusiness

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I prefer carbs. When tuned and built properly they fuel usage is near identical to the aftermarket units. I checked into this awhile ago. The cost factor to overall performance gains just isn't worth it. Just either buy a new carb or rebuild that one. After all sitting there looking cool in your boat while its warming up is half the fun :D

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

there is a holley marine projection system that is nothing more than a low pressure TBI unit. most people fiddle with it for a year then sell them on ebay to put the old carb back on it. there are no MPI aftermarket units that I know of.

trying to improve the 470 whether you like or dislike carbs is like trying to put lipstick on a pig. in the end, its still a pig.

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

There are some great stand alone systems out there but it would be pretty pricey. You would spend a 2-3 k easy.

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

There are no kits that will work on the 470. You could cobble the injection part together but when it comes to a controler you are going to have to re-invent the wheel.

There are several controllers... some even marine sealed. As i said they are pretty pricey.

E4ODnut

Seaman

Almost any engine that originally had a carburetor will run better on EFI. Some better than others, some hardly better at all. It all depends on how much time, effort and money you are prepared to spend on the project. It will be pretty lonely working on a 470 because there won't likely be any kindred spirits out there to bounce ideas off. If you have no illusions of huge gains in anything and are into it mainly for the experience, sure it can be done, but it won't be easy or cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.